the Context development is actually on the NW corner

It is most definitely on the NE corner of Bathurst and Front, and as can be seen in this render, it's due to come REALLY close to Reve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34887423@N03/3285610469/

However, it should be noted that this rendering is probably far from being a final design. And Reve was still supposed to be a hotel when that clearance was proposed. Not sure if it being a residential dwelling changes anything or not.

There are rumours that the slaughterhouse will be no more. I heard it's owned by two brothers who dont get along. And i've also heard that they've had their land valued. So maybe they are in the process of figuring out who they should sell too. But I really dont think it'll be there much longer. There's so much development around that area, im sure the voice of the residence will get louder and louder.

I finally managed to get one of the ID units but am still debating whether I should keep it, after seeing this thread.

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7579

My unit is facing west so this newly proposed idea for the condo project on the north east corner of bathurst and front really worries me.

Does anyone have more insider info on this?

Much appreciated.

Hi Jenny,

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. That project is HUGE, and even if it did happen, it would probably start wayyy in the future. Currently i'd just be worried about the noise from motorcycles. I went by there last time and where were like 30 motorcycles there and they were having a bbq.

Im hoping they sound proof the windows or something, just in case the trains are loud. You can hear the spadina streetcars from Reve.

There are rumours that the slaughterhouse will be no more. I heard it's owned by two brothers who dont get along. And i've also heard that they've had their land valued. So maybe they are in the process of figuring out who they should sell too. But I really dont think it'll be there much longer. There's so much development around that area, im sure the voice of the residence will get louder and louder.

people have been complaining about the slaughterhouse since the 1980's when the first condo's were built in the area--the Summit on King St. Realtors always imply that the slaughterhouse is "on the verge of selling" in order to move units in the neighbourhood, but nothing has changed in 25 years so i wouldn't hold your breath. your nose maybe, but not your breath.

the Context development is actually on the NW corner; however, anyone buying/living dt should not expect to have an unobstructed view if there is land/low rise buildings available to be developed nearby.
get the highest floor you can ... at least that increases your odds of clearing a building.

i'd be more concerned with the smell coming from the slaughterhouse.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...ents-face-foul-smell-from-slaughterhouse.aspx

2 Tecumseth St - I wouldn't want to live here, it's RIGHT NEXT DOOR!
The unit i got is on the 8th floor, is it high enough?

welll Jenny, it seems that Context building will be on the NE, and not NW as I thought.

according to the thread you pulled out, the proposed Context building will be basically a whole city block - everything on the Front/Bathurst/Niagara block west of the Tridel Reve.

It will be built along the perimeter of the site, with large public courtyard in the middle, with heights varying from ~10 storeys on Niagara to ~17 on Front, and sloped rooflines to create steps.

From the above info, it sounds like any suite facing W will have a courtyard view, but you won't clear the building unless you choose something that's above the 10th floor, and closer to the Niagara side vs. Front St. side.

welll Jenny, it seems that Context building will be on the NE, and not NW as I thought.

according to the thread you pulled out, the proposed Context building will be basically a whole city block - everything on the Front/Bathurst/Niagara block west of the Tridel Reve.

It will be built along the perimeter of the site, with large public courtyard in the middle, with heights varying from ~10 storeys on Niagara to ~17 on Front, and sloped rooflines to create steps.

From the above info, it sounds like any suite facing W will have a courtyard view, but you won't clear the building unless you choose something that's above the 10th floor, and closer to the Niagara side vs. Front St. side.

Correct but the building is entirely immediately to the west of the site, so not sure why NW or NE is being used. If Context builds what they are contemplating, nearly all west views are essentially courtyard views as the Context building will be in your face, only a few metres off the property line. Look at the rendering. It is a huge massing.

Jenny, the bottom line is that if Tridel builds by summer 2011, it will likely be 2014 or 2015 before the context building is built, if at all. That gives you potentially 3 or 4 years of a view before it disappears at the earliest.

Hi Jenny,

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. That project is HUGE, and even if it did happen, it would probably start wayyy in the future. Currently i'd just be worried about the noise from motorcycles. I went by there last time and where were like 30 motorcycles there and they were having a bbq.

Im hoping they sound proof the windows or something, just in case the trains are loud. You can hear the spadina streetcars from Reve.
Bike shop will be gone soon! http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=76564
Still though, you will have to listen to mine!

Jenny, the bottom line is that if Tridel builds by summer 2011, it will likely be 2014 or 2015 before the context building is built, if at all. That gives you potentially 3 or 4 years of a view before it disappears at the earliest.

And in those years before your view disappears, you get the sound and view of construction :)

My advice would be to never buy a unit facing a side lot-line in a mid-block development unless you know that the adjoining property will not be developed (i.e. historic building, rental housing, small lot, etc.) or that the Official Plan or Zoning Bylaw precludes a building that will block your view (i.e in the example of The Morgan or District Lofts on Richmond, Queen Street West at Spadina has lower zoning and height limits which preserves their north views). One should assume that the final building approved to the west of Reve will be at least the same height if not taller, given it has identical OP and ZBL provisions as Reve.

In the case of Reve, it would appear the only "safe" views are east, if you're above the Portland Place development or south, however you'll have the noise of the GO trains in their switching yard. The best view would appear to be NE over the townhouses on Victoria Square.

I shouldn't be over worried about everthing if I were Jenny. The 8th floor is high enough. How high you can go for, above the 9th floor are dream collection units and this building is only 13 storeys.

In fact I know Context is not owing to that piece of land - 578 Front St. West. That piece of land is still available for sale.

Last edited:
The Context building will likely be nicer than this one. I think you should wait and buy there instead. :)

The Context building will likely be nicer than this one. I think you should wait and buy there instead. :)

unobstructed W views but noisier since closer to Bathurst and possibly smellier if the slaughterhouse is still there.

I doubt the abattoir will be around for very long, so if not the Context building, then another condo will terminate the western view.

How long do you have to wait? How much you will pay in the next couple of years for one bedroom unit there?:)

Back