8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

StIdes

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I was taking the westbound 501 yesterday from university to roncesvalles and I noticed that they don't even announce Dufferin st on the street car nor is there a stop within 50 feet of Dufferin. Way to go guys. :facepalm:

Also last night, not even 1 week into the tunnel being opened the police are in there doing a R.I.D.E program in the south bound lanes. Like holy mother of christ can they not even wait 1 week to harrass people and try to f*** people over in a new spot!

Also last night, not even 1 week into the tunnel being opened the police are in there doing a R.I.D.E program in the south bound lanes. Like holy mother of christ can they not even wait 1 week to harrass people and try to f*** people over in a new spot!
Surely someone will only be f****d over if they have been drinking.

Are you suggesting that it's okay to drink and drive? Given how seldom I've ever been stopped in Toronto (if ever, now I think about it ...), this seems like a rather odd comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely someone will only be fucked over if they have been drinking.

Are you suggesting that it's okay to drink and drive? Given how seldom I've ever been stopped in Toronto (if ever, now I think about it ...), this seems like a rather odd comment.

I second your sentiment. I think RIDE programs are a great thing. I'd rather be stopped for a couple minutes waiting to get through a ride check then get hit by a drunk driver. They should have more of them in the entertainment district. I'm sure they'd make a boatload of arrests. Don't set it up until about 12:30 though, that way you catch them by surprise on the way out of the bar (in case you can't tell, I have a very low tolerance for people who drink and drive).

I agree. I work in the industry and I'm so often impressed with how many people are stumbling drunk into their cars and the huge police apparatus just standing by. If I see it every single night I work, no doubt the cops do as well. More RIDE programs please!

i drive the 501 and the stop for gwynn ave has been moved from the top of the hill to two light poles west of the intersection to be closer. as to the stop calling being changed i wouldn't hold my breath on that happening anytime soon. i could see the stop eventually being placed right on the NE corner but there is still construction going on under the bridge. i did notice the ride program there too

Surely someone will only be fucked over if they have been drinking.

I second your sentiment. I think RIDE programs are a great thing. I'd rather be stopped for a couple minutes waiting to get through a ride check then get hit by a drunk driver. They should have more of them in the entertainment district. I'm sure they'd make a boatload of arrests. Don't set it up until about 12:30 though, that way you catch them by surprise on the way out of the bar (in case you can't tell, I have a very low tolerance for people who drink and drive).

I agree. I work in the industry and I'm so often impressed with how many people are stumbling drunk into their cars and the huge police apparatus just standing by. If I see it every single night I work, no doubt the cops do as well. More RIDE programs please!

I have no patience for drunk drivers either. But in my opinion road side check points are something that belong in iraq. I think it violates our god giving freedoms to unreasonable search. They say they are looking for drunk drivers but then they will start harrasing you about other things. Me and some buddies had our car and persons searched because they thought we might have drugs when I was younger (which we didnt) after being stopped at a RIDE. Are you guys cool with that too? Are you guys all for random searching of innocent civilians? If you are you need to wake the f*** up. Ever heard the saying you give someone an inch they will take a mile? Thats what I find happens at RIDE checkpoints.

Not only that but the drunk driving laws are ridiclous. The limit is ridiclously low now (.05% and 0% if you are a g2 driver) and the fines and suspensions are insane. I agree with not driving drunk, but this is taking it too far. Having a beer at a buddies BBQ with your burger does not make you a danger to society.. we are being policed to death.

Last edited:
I think it violates our god giving freedoms to unreasonable search.
God giving freedom of drunk driving? Find and suspensions are insane?

Your god must be smoking something.

What about the freedom on not being run over by a drunk driver that the pixies gave me?

It's simple ... if you drink ... take the streetcar.

I'm shocked anyone here is advocating drunk driving ... but I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone from a Ford supporter.

Last edited:
earlier that day:
party-jesus.jpg

later in the evening:
in my opinion road side check points are something that belong in iraq. I think it violates our god giving freedoms to unreasonable search. Having a beer at a buddies BBQ with your burger does not make you a danger to society.. we are being policed to death.
jesus_speeds4.png

God giving freedom of drunk driving? Find and suspensions are insane?

Your god must be smoking something.

What about the freedom on not being run over by a drunk driver that the pixies gave me?

It's simple ... if you drink ... take the streetcar.

I'm shocked anyone here is advocating drunk driving ... but I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone from a Ford supporter.

Not once did I advocate drunk driving. Section Eight of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms provides everyone in Canada with protection against unreasonable search and seizure. You seem to love having your freedoms stripped dont you? I bet you also love those naked body scanners at the airport because they protect you from "terrorists" dont you? Just like RIDE programs are there to protect you from "drunk drivers". Just ignore the prime example I gave and just keep giving away your freedoms the government will protect you little sheep...

Sorry in my perfect world someone shouldnt have their license taken away for a year and fined $2000 because they had a beer at BBQ. I'm the insane one. Theres a difference between being drunk and having a beer or 2. I'm sure anyone here who isnt a terrible driver to begin with can attest to that.

Last edited:
I guess I've never heard anyone who was so supportive of drunk driving that they were against RIDE checks. It's not like you ever have to do anything other than roll down the window and chat to a police officer for a few seconds. They are not X-raying your car, or sticking their hands up your exhaust pipe.

One beer isn't going to put you over the limit (unless you weigh less than 70 lbs). To suggest that it would implies you have an agenda. And there are very few people that 2 beers would put them over the limit either. This CAA calculator shows that even a 150 lb female isn't going to be over 0.05 with 2 beers; and even a 120 lb female won't even be over with 2 beers after 2 hours.

Last edited:
Section Eight of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms provides everyone in Canada with protection against unreasonable search and seizure.

going through a ride checkpoint is no more an unreasonable search and seizure than a cop walking toward you on the sidewalk and stopping you to ask you a question such as "hey, did a naked woman smeared in blueberry jam come running this way?". if the cop wants to inspect your genitals for blueberry jam accusing you of getting it on with the naked blueberry chick, without reason, maybe then it would be an unreasonable search. but if he can smell blueberries on your breath, your tongue looks blue, your hands are blue & and you have blueberry stains on your pants & an unexplainable chubber, that's a different story.

I guess I've never heard anyone who was so supportive of drunk driving that they were against RIDE checks. It's not like you ever have to do anything other than roll down the window and chat to a police officer for a few seconds. They are not X-raying your car, or sticking their hands up your exhaust pipe.

One beer isn't going to put you over the limit. To suggest that it would implies you have an agenda. And there are very few people that 2 beers would put them over the limit either.

The reason is police should not be stopping you unless they have a reason to do so. Random road side checks are something out of nazi germany and current day middle east war zone. It is not something that should take place in a supposedly "free country".

And yes 2 beers can put some people over now with the new ridiclously low .05% level. That's literally a 2 beers every 3 hours for most people. How drunk are you off of 2 beers in 3 hours? Answer: unless youre a complete light weight the answer is not probably not drunk at all. But that amount of drinks puts you close to the danger zone and facing losing your license for a year and a $2000 fine? If someone is stumbling drunk then by all means throw the book at him but like my example of a beer at a bbq... It's a stupidly harsh penalty in that case in my opinion.

going through a ride checkpoint is no more an unreasonable search and seizure than a cop walking toward you on the sidewalk and stopping you to ask you a question such as "hey, did a naked woman smeared in blueberry jam come running this way?"

There's a huge difference between a road side checkpoint fishing for charges to lay on people and beat cop who is actively looking for suspects in a crime that just happened. Cmon really? That the best you got?

There's a huge difference between a road side checkpoint fishing for charges to lay on people and beat cop who is actively looking for suspects in a crime that just happened. Cmon really? That the best you got?

okay. ride vs. beat cop in the club district "fishing for charges to lay on people".

okay. ride vs. beat cop in the club district "fishing for charges to lay on people".

That's what theyre doing. They have no clue any actual crime happened, nor was any crime reported. They are randomly pulling people over (fishing) hoping to get lucky as opposed to someone reporting a crime and them properly investigating it. Can you really not tell the difference? Most people on this board seem pretty smart. And it's only going to get worse. Now its the airpots with naked body scanners, next it could be who knows? Strip searching your children before school to check for weapons? Will you be all for that too?

Back