News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

G

ganjavih

Religious attention to conversion

CHRISTOPHER HUME

Once a church meeting hall and manse in Toronto's west end, Hepbourne Hall has found a brilliant new life as a condo complex.

This early 20th-century Gothic fantasy has outlived its Presbyterian origins and become a wonderful example of how buildings can be recycled and re-used by succeeding generations according to their needs.

Located at 110 Hepbourne St., west of Dovercourt Rd. and south of Bloor St., this 2 1/2-storey structure dates from a time when the city and its denominations took architecture seriously.

With its stone turrets and window frames, this building is an excellent example.

Now fully restored, these marvellous features stand out more than ever. Indeed, they are irresistible.

Interestingly, with a couple of artworks installed in front of the building and signs of domesticity showing above, the religious feeling has been replaced by something entirely secular.

Too bad the new brickwork on top doesn't match the red masonry below but, otherwise, everything about this conversion is admirable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grade: A

040407_condo_hepbourne_250.jpg

CHARLA JONES/TORONTO STAR
Critic's Eye columnist Christopher Hume gives an A rating to Hepbourne Hall, the "admirable" conversion of a church meeting hall and manse just west of Dovercourt Rd. and south of Bloor St.

Re: Religious attention to conversion (Hume on Hepbourne Hal

That's only half the story. What about the interior?

I don't think you can really judge a conversion (or any building) just by staring at the front facade.

Re: Religious attention to conversion (Hume on Hepbourne Hal

That may be true, but Hume doesn't care about the inside...he only ever reviews the outsides of buildings (although he did take a couple of shots at the Tribeca residents in his last column). He's looking to see how these things fit into and improve (or not) the city, not how viable they are as places to live.

Even if I don't always agree with his opinions, I like his approach...I'm probably never going to live in any of the places he reviews, so I don't really care about the inside. If I am looking for a place to live, I wouldn't use his column as a guide.

Back