9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Zeke

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been happily scouring this forum since discovering it last week. Like many others here, I'm a (frustrated) armchair architect/critic. Since I'm also about to relocate to Toronto to work at a law firm that specializes in real estate, I'm finding the range of issues discussed here to be both fascinating and informative.

Having said that, I wonder if I could avail myself of the collective wisdom of the forum members to get some advice re rental accommodations? The basic facts are that my wife and I are selling a fairly large (3000 sq ft) house on the east coast and, although we want to rent for a year or so to wait out the "correction", we don't want to get rid of all of our stuff (which hopefully we'll need when we buy our next house). We're not old enough to be empty nesters, but I'm really starting to appreciate the space issues they go through when downsizing. Other requirements are at least two baths, two-car parking ... at least one space should be indoors so it can also house the lawnmower, snowblower and motorcycle ... and the real dealbreaker--some kind of enclosed, grassy area suitable for a small dog's exercise and toilet needs.

I say dealbreaker, because we'd really like to live downtown, even though my office is sort of midtown (Wynford Drive). However, we understand that because of the amount of space we require (and particularly the dog's needs) our budget (we'd like to stay under $2000/m) does not translate to a downtown townhouse with a yard. Unfortunately our pup is one of those dogs that will not "perform" while on leash--even if we were inclined to walk her the 37 times a day she'd request it.

Aside from those we can be fairly flexible. We have no kids, so a single guest bedroom would be adequate (although in a no-basement scenario extra bedrooms would be useful for storing our unused furniture). Subway access would be nice, but it's not essential as I've got to drive to work anyway (at least until the Eglinton or Don Mills LRT lines are built). That doesn't mean I'm up for commuting in from the 'burbs every day though; if we wanted a suburban lifestyle we'd stay in Nova Scotia. :)

North York (if not too far off the Yonge Street corridor) or Don Mills (even as far east as say, Victoria Park) might be acceptable ... but I've been unable to identify any townhouse developments in those areas that are sufficiently roomy, within budget and not hideously unappealing from an aesthetic perspective. As the old joke goes, it seems we can only have two of those three!

So, do any of you folks have any suggestions for reasonably spacious, reasonably economical and reasonably attractive housing that would work for us? I've been looking mainly at townhouses, since the detached houses I've seen under $2000/m haven't exactly been inspiring, but we are open to most any format as long as it serves our needs.

Thanks in advance for your help ... and for the valuable insights I've already gleaned from the site!

Back