8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

general surfer

Member Bio
Reaction score
hiya all, i recently wants to replace all my windows to more energy efficent one, but is so hard to choose from, i tend to choose Pella, aluminum clad wood type, they are pricy but i heard when it comes to re-sell, that is one selling feature too, is that true? i also try Lowe, they are not that cheap and far off from Pella, maybe 1-2k behind, thoughts?

do you have any images (or links) of the products you're referring to?
aluminum clad would seem to be more for commercial usage, but perhaps i'm visualizing a completely different thing.

back on topic, how old are your current windows?
IMO any dual pane vinyl windows from the mid-1990s onwards is alot better than single pane wood / aluminum / vinyl.

the price paid will be recouped within 10 years from better heating/cooling efficiency resulting from lack of energy lost.
and i think most people expect the newer vinyl windows ... doesn't have to be brand 'new'

Have you checked out the federal government retrofit program? I think they'll give you 40$ a window, but you have to do pre- and post-installation efficiency inspections. If you're only replacing windows (and not doing other work) that may not make it worth you while.

my windows now is 1980's the reason i want clad wood is i want black color window, and vinyl or fiberglass doesnt do it, i already change all the furnace and air cond up to the most energy efficient , also attic blown in insulation, and all the leakage seal.

@jeff316 i did have my energy audit done and i know if i need the rebate from the govt. i need to register it again and they will send someone out to check again, and afterall i wont get much. but thats ok.

Thanks guys!

Back