News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Fascinating discussion. Just a couple of years ago after the pandemic subsided, there was a lot of talk about WFH being the new norm going forward, and a lot of people took on jobs under the assumption that that would be the case, only for things to shift back now...

Fascinating discussion. Just a couple of years ago after the pandemic subsided, there was a lot of talk about WFH being the new norm going forward, and a lot of people took on jobs under the assumption that that would be the case, only for things to shift back now...
I briefly thought about moving out of the GTA, but figured that I should wait until things normalized. I was proven correct.

Amazon's work culture is very hard-driving. Their churn rate reflects this, lots of executives don't make it. Amazon can pay well if you make it up the food chain, but they will get every cent back out of you in work product.
Experienced this first hand, I was always impressed by our productivity but I knew it wasn’t sustainable. It was stressful.

I quit last summer when they began a 3 day RTO. The Toronto offices didn’t have enough space so you only got a permanent desk if you came in 5 days a week!

Experienced this first hand, I was always impressed by our productivity but I knew it wasn’t sustainable. It was stressful.

I quit last summer when they began a 3 day RTO. The Toronto offices didn’t have enough space so you only got a permanent desk if you came in 5 days a week!
More on the tech side? Curious to hear your experience working for Amazon in terms of expectation for hours worked, general culture/pressure and stress. I've spoken with people in operations and I have heard some wild stories.

Hopefully they knew they rolled the dice. When our headquarters was in downtown Toronto, I know people who moved to Milton, Cambridge, Guelph, etc. when it was rumoured that it was going to moved to Guelph. It moved to Orillia.
I briefly thought about moving out of the GTA, but figured that I should wait until things normalized. I was proven correct.
Lots of people moved to north Simcoe County and Muskoka, and probably other peripheral areas, in the early days of COVID, no doubt banking on WFH. I wonder how that is working out for some.

Living at the cottage is a lot different in February than July.

This had effect of driving the housing prices up.

Back