That's correct. I don't think the developer had deep pockets to begin with, and combined with the downturn, it fizzled out.

Also correct is your take on the Ampresand towers. IMO, those towers are the textbook example of simply throwing up office space for sake of satisfying office space demand. They are about as unimaginative as you can get for high rise buildings.
Ampersand is probably the worst example of early 1980s office office building construction, but that period from about 1974 to 1984 was a bad one, with a number of extremely bland and boring towers. The Scotia tower, Nexen FCC and the Home/Dome tower are not too bad. Bow Valley Square, despite being quadruplet towers are actually not that bad either but the rest are complete banality.

Ampersand is probably the worst example of early 1980s office office building construction, but that period from about 1974 to 1984 was a bad one, with a number of extremely bland and boring towers. The Scotia tower, Nexen FCC and the Home/Dome tower are not too bad. Bow Valley Square, despite being quadruplet towers are actually not that bad either but the rest are complete banality.
In my opinion, what makes Ampersand unusually terrible, even when compared with other buildings from the era, are three factors:
1) the podium is absolutely unforgivably bad, even by late 70s/early 80s standards;
2) Doing 3 towers of identical design and height adds no visual interest to the skyline. Varying heights, as done at Suncor and Husky, adds some visual interest. Even slightly different glazing colours like Bankers Hall makes a big difference.
3) I hate the black glazing

I actually think Nexen, Husky and FCC are great looking towers for their day that still hold up really well today.

Agree. Nexen, and FCC are quite unique. Both are typical of any office tower where the podiums snuff out the street life... as is the case with just about every single office building built in the past 50 years, but at least they're interesting from a tower portion perspective. From the outside, Ampersand fails in all categories. Boring plaza, boring materials and design, and to add insult to injury the triplicated them :(

I worked next to Ampersand (Sun Life Plaza) for like 10 years. Loved the food court (I miss Sub Mission and Shogun) and had many a pint/jug at the Pied Pickle. (I think their house lager was the same heroin beer that they serve at the Dome!)

I realize it had a bad interface with the street in spots, but I never *hated* it. The 1st St side, and especially the 3rd Avenue side were bad, yes, but it's best to think of them as alleys (this block has no alley). The main entrance is on 4th, and it has all the gratuitous steps, fountains and concrete you could expect from a "quality" office development of the era.

IMG_4550.jpeg

One thing I like about this one and this block is that for whatever reason it's both no alleys and also no separation between properties. Seems to be on the few blocks in the city that have that condition at this scale.

I wish we saw more of this in the inner city. We have so much dead space between buildings that are an artifact of the side setbacks that don't seem to serve much actual purpose - here's a block that proves you don't need them, can build high and dense and it's all good.

Not to mention the pedestrian street wall effect is destroyed. One of the reasons why streets with pre-war midrises or European cities are so enjoyable to walk down. Just something cozy about it.
One thing I like about this one and this block is that for whatever reason it's both no alleys and also no separation between properties. Seems to be on the few blocks in the city that have that condition at this scale.

I wish we saw more of this in the inner city. We have so much dead space between buildings that are an artifact of the side setbacks that don't seem to serve much actual purpose - here's a block that proves you don't need them, can build high and dense and it's all good.

Back