News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Subway shooting halts transit service in Toronto

One person is in hospital after several shots were fired on the platform of a Toronto subway station Thursday.

22/01/2009 11:58:14 AM

The shooting took place at around 10:45 a.m.

Police have sealed off the area and the Toronto Transit Commission has halted service between St. George subway station and Union station on the Yonge-University-Spadina line. Shuttle buses are being used to transport commuters.

TTC spokesperson Danny Nicholson confirmed the closure but wouldn't elaborate on what took place.

"It's a police investigation now," he told ctv.toronto.ca.

Witnesses say they heard about four shots being fired on the platform of the Osgoode subway station, located in the city's downtown core.

The victim was rushed to St. Michael's Hospital but his condition is unknown.

Const. Wendy Drummond, spokesperson for Toronto police, said there are dozens of officers on the scene, speaking to witnesses and reviewing images taken from security cameras at the station.

More to come...

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...ewsitemid=CTVNews/20090122/TTC_assault_090122

Shooting a gun in a public place like this should carry extraordinarily serious repercussions. It's completely inexcusable.

What does surpise me is that it happened at Osgoode. I would have thought Yorkdale or Wilson or Downsview.
One should never have to "get used to" shootings like this.

The TTC announced it in-train as an emergency situation at St. Andrew, which was either a lie (unlikely), or the announcer didn't know what was going on (very likely).

Man shot on subway platform in downtown Toronto

osgoode-subway-crawley-cbc.jpg

Police tape closes off one of the entrances to Toronto's Osgoode subway station on Thursday as investigators search for suspects in a shooting on the station platform. (Mike Crawley/CBC)A shooting in Toronto's subway system has sent at least one person to hospital and shut down an important section of the city's public transportation system.

At least one person, a male, has been taken to St. Michael's Hospital with gunshot wounds. His condition is unknown, said Toronto police Const. Wendy Drummond.

The shooting happened just before 11 a.m. on the platform of the Osgoode station near University Avenue and Queen Street West. There is no indication how many people were on the platform at the time.

Reports suggest at least four shots may have been fired.

Police closed the station are reviewing the TTC security camera images.

Police said they have taken a person of interest into custody and are continuing to look for other suspects.

A large section of the city's Yonge-University-Spadina subway line has been shut down and will probably remain closed for much of the afternoon as police investigate.

Shuttle buses are transporting commuters.

The TTC announced it in-train as an emergency situation at St. Andrew, which was either a lie (unlikely), or the announcer didn't know what was going on (very likely).

Do tell, how was that not an emergency situation? Would you prefer for them to say that there was a shooting, and raise fear and panic for riders on the system? In many cases like this, less information is better.

Wasn't there another shooting just a day or so ago? Perhaps they're related, some sort of revenge thing.

Of note, the media is reporting on the race of those involved.

Toronto Const. Tony Vella says police believe the shooter is in his early twenties. He is described as a black male and may have been accompanied by a second person.
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090116/090116_power_restored/20090122/?hub=CP24Home

At least one person, a black male, has been taken to St. Michael's Hospital with gunshot wounds.
http://news.aol.ca/article/transit-chaos-follows-toronto-subway-shooting/495330/

When are these black males going to stop shooting each other?

Last edited:
Do tell, how was that not an emergency situation? Would you prefer for them to say that there was a shooting, and raise fear and panic for riders on the system? In many cases like this, less information is better.

Try reading before you post. Notice that I said St. Andrew...I suggested they lied about which station it was (which did provide less information, perhaps because of police involvement), but claimed the announcer, instead, did not know where the emergency actually took place.

This is stupid. I don't want to sound like I am endorsing crime, but I would like to think criminals had some intelligence. From the sounds of it, the cops have already apprehended one suspect and I can't say I am that surprised. TTC stations would be an awful place to commit crimes, there are limited exits, tons of CCTV cameras and no shortage of witnesses. And how the hell could you shoot someone four bloody times at point blank range and leave them alive? My only experience with guns are the Rambo movies, but I would like to think I would have slightly better aim.

Bah. The schools aren't doing their jobs properly.

I hope you are joking about the part concerning schools.

Shooting a gun in a public place like this should carry extraordinarily serious repercussions. It's completely inexcusable.

I agree, and no doubt the prosecutor will hopefully argue this angle. Such an action is utterly reckless above and beyond the already reprehensible attempt to murder someone. It's clear the shooter(s) have no thought for anyone else whatsoever. The fact that no one else was injured is pure luck.

I hope you are joking about the part concerning schools.
Well, I don't think they should be teaching how to carry out crime, but they should be teaching some decent analytical and planning skills (which were clearly absent here).

What is not surprising is people getting shot with guns--the majority are involved in gangs or criminal activity and this has been happening off and on for decades. As has already been implied in this thread, what is surprising is how often this happens in public nowadays as criminals are either unafraid of using firearms in public places or have no self-control in saving things for a more appropriate moment (not that I encourage that sort of thing).

Perhaps they are unafraid of the consequences once they are caught? I'm certainly not looking forward to Mayor Miller's reaction to it.

Osgoode station? or Osbad station?

not surprised. just glad it wasn't any worse. can't be good for the TTC.

Two words:
Gangs, drugs.

The only thing that really unsettles me is the thought of random shootings like those that happen in the USA so often. (I am singling them out, yes, because from my perception given to me by the media, that's where they happen the most. I am sure there are many other countries they happen in though.)

Random shootings could involve me. Drug/gang shootings do not affect me.
Although in that case you really have to hope you are not caught in crossfire.

Either way, it is utterly unacceptable.

Back