8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

voljack

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of purchasing a one bedroom unit at 549 King East (Corktown District).

All the sketches that I saw before purchasing state that the width of my unit is 15ft which is fine for me.

However, when i look at the building right now there is NO way that my unit is 15ft across. In my purchase agreement it states that the size can fluctuate by 3%, however, NO WHERE in my agreement does it actually say what the sq footage is.

The floorplan schedule doesn't have a scale or any measurements like the sales package does. My lawyer asked for this to be amended to the agreement (among others) and they did almost everything except for including the square footage.

If you are familiar with the building take a look next time you drive by. It's on the 3rd floor 2nd one in on the west facing wall.

this is infuriating.. how can they get away with that.

Actually, the model building on their website has more units that what is actually there..

at some point did they have to scale this project back a bit? I dont think i can live in 12ft

don't you find it odd that the square footage is not in the purchase of sale agreement at all??

then when the lawyer asked for all the amendments including the square footage, they made most of the changes but still left out the square footage?

I'm fine if it has been reduced from the original 641 and I'm aware that things change during construction...

however,

it can't be normal to sign for a 350k condo and have no idea how big the place is.

don't you find it odd that the square footage is not in the purchase of sale agreement at all??

then when the lawyer asked for all the amendments including the square footage, they made most of the changes but still left out the square footage?

I'm fine if it has been reduced from the original 641 and I'm aware that things change during construction...

however,

it can't be normal to sign for a 350k condo and have no idea how big the place is.

Will they let you in to take your own measurements?

Hello apholmes,

The disclosure documents should (at least they did in our case) include a schedule of the budgeted first year maintenance charges for your unit. The charge is based on the per square foot maintenance cost, by the calculated size of your unit. The size is based on what is called builder's measures, not the sum of the interior dimensions of the rooms unfortunately. Builder's measures are defined somewhere (Tarion / Condominium Act ?), but I believe could be summarized as from the outside edge of the external walls or windows, and the mid point in the walls between units and between the unit an corridor. If you have the disclosure documents, you might want to try following up with the developer on how - on what basis - your unit's budgeted maintenance fee was calculated.

AHK

Actually, the model building on their website has more units that what is actually there..

at some point did they have to scale this project back a bit? I dont think i can live in 12ft

I pass by quite often and only from observation...I'd say that they will probably demise the existing units into smaller ones like they did at 569 King (I'm assuming the first walls to go up were for structural reasons). Further, scaling recent pictures based on floor-ceiling heights of 10' i'd say that the width of the unit in question is close to 15'.

The total square footage should've been in your APS. As it is, normal Tarion guidelines allow for a fluctuation of 2% on any unit size. The measurements are taken from a middle floor so that lower floors will have less square footage due to an increased thickness of load bearing walls and higher floors will have slightly more. I've never heard of an actual number (3%) being included in an APS.

Square footage includes closets, laundry room (if any), halls, stairs (if any), and living heated spaces. It should not include porches, balconies, or unfinished basements (if any), unless they become finished to become part of the living heated space.

Thanks for all of the responses.. I love this site

So an update: The builder has now amended the floorplan schedule with the square footage and references that Tarion 2% thing.

FYI: The square footage measurement guidelines are in a document called BUILDER BULLETIN 22

http://www.tarion.com/NR/rdonlyres/3C403E96-AAFE-4970-9D7E-A5BBC6696994/0/Bulletin22.pdf

I made a trip to the building and tried to pace it off myself and i came up with around 13ft give or take a couple feet so 15" makes sense. Whoever said that judging by the 10foot ceilings , it does look like it will be 15' across is pretty damn smart. I should have thought of that.

Thanks again for all the help.

Back