News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Stronger ties as in family ties (eg. roots or current relatives living or having lived in the area), or ties as in having spent more time in the place living, working, travelling etc. personally?

613 for me. My husband is from Ottawa and I went to Queen's for my undergrad. Other than a few trips to Stratford when I was in high school, I have no connections to the southwestern part of the province other than my family's connection with Western (both my parents and an uncle went there for grad school).

613 for me as I go to Ottawa for work fairly often and a number of acquaintances there. Also have family in Montreal and Kingston, so overall have spent more time in eastern Ontario.

I would also say, at least for most of the earlier part of my life, the 613. As a kid and into the younger part of my adulthood, I spent much more time visiting eastern Ontario with family members than anywhere in southwestern Ontario. However, this has become less the case later on in my life, where, outside the GTA, I'm not spending especially more time in one region of Ontario than the other.

I would guess more "townies" in Toronto would have 519 than 613 roots, given that 519 has a larger population and Ottawa probably takes in some of those moving to the "big city" in the 613 region.

I would guess more "townies" in Toronto would have 519 than 613 roots, given that 519 has a larger population and Ottawa probably takes in some of those moving to the "big city" in the 613 region.

Is there data on migration between regions within a province (eg. how many people move from eastern Ontario or southwestern Ontario to the GTA or vice versa in a given year, or how many people in one region resided in another 5, 10 years ago etc.) or people born in one region that currently reside in another.

Even data on inter-provincial migration seems hard to find or at least less widely publicized. For example, do you know where to find the Canadian provincial equivalents of the often widely shared US state statistics that say what % are people are born either in the current state and then all the %'s of each of the other states plus foreign born, and going back over many years? I've actually been looking for that kind of thing but it's hard to get.

I don't think Statscan keeps track of province of birth. Of course that wouldn't tell us where migrants to Toronto from within Ontario come from.

I don't think Statscan keeps track of province of birth. Of course that wouldn't tell us where migrants to Toronto from within Ontario come from.

I don't know why this might be but it seems like in general the US has much more detailed information on migration within the country than Canada, both historical and current. Maybe it's just me, but from my experience, I also get the impression that Americans really emphasize their "roots/personal history within the country" more than Canadians do (eg. things like "I just moved here from California a few years back, but I was born in Illinois and my family was originally from Virginia a few generations back etc.), not just ancestry (eg. I'm Scottish, Italian, Chinese, African-American etc.).

It's too bad inter-provincial or regional migration stats aren't available, since it would be interesting to examine how big a deal such migrations that people talk about (eg. Anglo-Montrealers to Ontario after the rise of the PQ, Ontarians to Alberta during the oil boom and then perhaps back again) really are or were.

It's harder to track also because our provinces, especially Ontario, are so big.

In addition the population growth of the American West from the beginning was very much driven by internal migration. That's less true here. There were enough Ontarians to make the accent in Western Canada more or less the same, but immigrants from the British Isles and Europe outnumbered internal migrants in the West in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Canadian-born, both parents born in Canada, 1931:

Ontario 49%
Manitoba 26%
Saskatchewan 24%
Alberta 20%
BC 19%

British Isles birth or parentage, 1931:

Ontario 36%
Manitoba 33%
Saskatchewan 24%
Alberta 28%
BC 50%

It's harder to track also because our provinces, especially Ontario, are so big.

In addition the population growth of the American West from the beginning was very much driven by internal migration. That's less true here. There were enough Ontarians to make the accent in Western Canada more or less the same, but immigrants from the British Isles and Europe outnumbered internal migrants in the West in the late 19th and early 20th century.

I actually have wondered why the Canadian "accent" seems so homogeneous from Ontario west to BC. In the US, the homogeneity out west is because it was settled from Easterners seeking land, but immigrants should have contributed (eg. the way immigrants contributed to say New York's distinctive accents) more to Canadian western accents than Ontarians, yet even British Columbians have things like Canadian raising (the stereotypical vowel sound that makes Americans think we say "aboot") even though it's associated with rural Ontario.

Isn't it the case even now that most Canadian provinces probably grow more from immigration than from internal growth or migration? Canadian birthrates are lower than the US currently so contemporary internal growth is also lessened by that factor, but I don't think we ever really got real big demographic changes like the settling of the Frontier, the Great Migration and its reversal, the rise of the Sunbelt that only came from shifting population within the country, not from outside it. I think there are states in the US that are growing or recently grew just by movement from other states (like say, Florida's rise), where immigration didn't contribute as much, but that's not true for our provincial populations. I believe also Quebec grew for quite a long time from internal population growth by sheer birth rate since up until the Quiet Revolution, I've read Quebec had one of the highest birthrates in North America.

Canadian-born, both parents born in Canada, 1931:

Ontario 49%
Manitoba 26%
Saskatchewan 24%
Alberta 20%
BC 19%

British Isles birth or parentage, 1931:

Ontario 36%
Manitoba 33%
Saskatchewan 24%
Alberta 28%
BC 50%

I wonder what Quebec's numbers would be like. Probably really high for both parents born in Canada and low for British roots.
BC really stands out in how "new" in population it is -- whether it be the English, Scottish or other groups like the Chinese, so hardly anyone is that "old stock" there who isn't First Nations. Isn't Victoria supposedly one of the most British places in North America, or so it's said, with the majority of the people only recently removed from the UK, within like three generations or something?

Yup, and BC had a smaller population than any of the Prairie provinces in 1931, and it's the province (along with Alberta) that was most impacted by internal migration.

Quebec and the Maritime provinces were all 80%+ Canadian born, Canadian parentage.

Back