News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

M

michaelpfox

How about a suburban section? The reality is more than half of people want to live there, and there is a lot of development. Most of the buildings, for example new types of residential development, don't get the attention that their marketability warrants. Rather than ignoring these issues (I do it myself!), we should understand them inside out.

Actually, I second this. Not because I'm currently a suburban myself, but because I consider it a key factor for the overall development of this city/region.

I don't think many of us want to see further suburban development, but it's going to happen. We might as well face this and acknowledge these developments. Even if it means we're going to 'slam' the proposed developments. Heck, if we slam them, even better ;)

Why not put both urban and surburban GTA developments in the Projects & Construction thread? Isn't this what is being done now anyway? And where would we set the division between whether a development is suburban or urban? As theoretically, you can have urban developments in the suburbs and suburban development in the city.

I don't know, I just don't feel there's no need to subdivide this forum even more.

And lets not start the old debate about whether the suburbs begin in former metro boroughs, or the 905 cities.

I would not support a Suburban section because it would reduce awareness of projects that happen to be north of Steeles, or west of Etobicoke Creek/427, whether they be really good projects (ie Markham Centre) or the worst blights on the GTA (like Absolute). There is no difference between Etobicoke towers in the park and Mississauga towers in the park. It works well the way it is.

However, a suburban forum would serve to provide a personal forum for certain suburban bolsterists, much like the Politics forum does that for a certain right-winger....

I don't know, I just don't feel there's no need to subdivide this forum even more.

I'll second that. The most frequent complaint I've heard about the international forums is too many subforums. It's something akin to seeing a store fail because the merchandise is not laid out well.

I think in terms of the projects themselves, it's self-regulating as it is. You probably get many more page views for e.g. RoCP than for CityGate, but that is not to say people aren't interested in anything going on outside the core. Look at the interest in Absolute and the Daniels MCC developments. I'd be much less likely to see those threads if they were just part of a suburban subforum.

I think both urban and suburban developments are coexisting pretty well in P&C. Too many sub forums makes the whole place unattractive and that much harder to navigate.

I doubt that a suburban/GTA section would get enough attention on this forum, it's "UrbanToronto" after all, but coming from the far suburbs myself I think that these are areas that deserve their share of respect and monitoring; most of the GTA suburbs have a collection of high-rises, mini downtowns, and bus and GO transit that most American suburbs don't come close to having.

Recently for example a forumer made a thread about the Burlington waterfront in the Projects/Construction thread. Although nothing comparable to Toronto projects of course, I felt that such rare and almost never-visited threads do deserve a small slice of attention.

And lastly, I think forumers such as AreBe who bring an alternative set of views only serve to diversify things up, it's not like one forumer will end the pro-urban stance of this forum.

Back