8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

wonderboy416

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was in Taipei from the 24th to 28th this year. It was a great deal, $350/round trip from Seoul and $12/night for a private room hostel downtown.

I'll let the pictures do the talking but here are my impressions... It seemed tiny compared to Seoul (and even Toronto), at approx 200 square km there's not a lot of land... amazingly it's got one of the highest population densities in the world despite having very few high-rises and not many mid-rises. The air quality is downright awful, it smells like a go-kart track 24/7 thanks to all the mopeds... It's really hard to describe just how many old, polluting mopeds are on these roads... strangely the cars are all fairly new and there's no shortage of really nice cars. There's a tremendous selection of asian cuisine at rock bottom prices. There's enough markets, temples, memorials etc to keep one busy for 3-4 days, but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than that. Also the night life is quite poor for a major city, there's no real entertainment hub, I was lucky to find a few places that were quite jumping at night. The cost of living is really low here, you can buy a can of beer and a pack of smokes for about $1.25 CDN from the 7/11. Much of the city is incredibly generic and run-down and quite dirty, but this I'm told is very typical of a lage Chinese city (even though Taipei is in the Republic of China its culturally very similar to mainland Chinese Cities I was told). That said there's a few stops that MUST be visited, the areas around Shilla and Xinem stand out as world-class in every way... the area around Taipei 101 is quite boring but full of life. Also I was shocked to find out how much more electronics cost in Korea than in Canada, well Taiwan is no different. Cheap LCD's? No where to be found, the no name brands still charge a premium. North America has a lot of buying power and is the largest market for these manufacturers hence it gets the lowest prices anywhere... I just kind of assumed since most of our electronics come from asia it would be cheaper there. You can still get some ipod knock-offs really cheap, but any quality electronic is generally more expensive in asia...

This was my second major asian city (Seoul being the first). Seoul is so big, clean and modern it's impossible to compare it to Taipei which is really nitty gritty, has a very outdated infastructure (except for a high speed rail system) and is very different culturally. It was a real eye opening experience and if you're looking for something to compliment your travels to the big 3 asian mega-cities (HK, Tokyo and Seoul) I'd strongly recommend it.

Nothing like cheap Taiwanese beer after just arriving at the airport:

DSCN1012.jpg

I took the next 3 walking to my hostel, yes that's a Lambo.

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

I thought this was quite funny...

DSCN1021.jpg

DSCN1022.jpg

DSCN1024.jpg

Smile!

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

Huge amounts of prime real estate are devoted to memorials, this type of thing would never fly in a North American city.

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

Taipei Normal University... I never found out why it's called "normal"

DSCN1042.jpg

DSCN1048.jpg

Typical mid-rise in Taipei, old and ready to implode. It's a good thing these buildings aren't in Toronto as the UT forums would be full of threads demanding their demise.

DSCN1052.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg

The subway is above street level in parts:

DSCN1056.jpg

Some very rare, nice high-rises:

DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1061.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

Market:

DSCN1064.jpg

They're really proud of this thing here and refuse to call it anything but the world's tallest...

DSCN1072.jpg

Was quite smoggy the day we went up...

DSCN1075.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

Now that's a huge damper!

DSCN1087.jpg

City hall... and no those guys aren't strapped in to anything, and it was raining lightly at the time!

DSCN1093.jpg

Notice the crazy workers on the left:

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1105.jpg

Night market near my hostel:

DSCN1113.jpg

Shilla station area:

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1123.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1132.jpg

DSCN1134.jpg

DSCN1135.jpg

Tree's are a very rare sight... well healthy ones at least.

DSCN1137.jpg

I'll let the pictures do the talking for this restaurant

DSCN1139.jpg

DSCN1141.jpg

DSCN1144.jpg

DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN1152.jpg

DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

DSCN1159.jpg

DSCN1161.jpg

DSCN1164.jpg

DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

Need any electronics?

DSCN1181.jpg

Xinem station area... hey look it's TLS!!! oh wait...

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg

Similar to Myeon Dong in Seoul, very alive at night.

DSCN1183.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1186.jpg

Cool rooftop batting cage:

DSCN1189.jpg

Many Japanese boutiques are in this area:

DSCN1190.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

DSCN1194.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

Up in the mountains...

DSCN1211.jpg

Taipei 101 truly dominates the skyline, the only other major skyscraper is several km away.

DSCN1227.jpg

DSCN1230.jpg

DSCN1231.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

Me and some peeps at the hostel:

DSCN1256.jpg

Nice message in the airport (which looks like it's from MASH)

DSCN1257.jpg

Last edited:
That does look a lot like TLS :\

What's in the Sex Palace?

Thanks for sharing these

Wow, what an ugly, yet interesting city - reminds me a bit of Changchun and the large inland Mainland Chinese cities (the cities on the coast like Dalian, Qingdao, Shanghai, Tianjin, Shenzhen and Hong Kong are prettier and wealthier, and the exception of the capital, of course). I'd go see it, I think, but it is not at the top of the East Asian cities I want to visit - Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Pyongyang are ahead - I guess Taipei would be soon after.

Thanks for the phototour. Did you encounter many English speakers, or did you get around based on signs and ordering off menu cards?

That does look a lot like TLS :\

What's in the Sex Palace?

Thanks for sharing these

Yeah it's amazing how they just through some ads up on a really old, deteriorating building yet in person it comes off much nicer than TLS. That is just a hotel I think, nothing to do with sex... Not sure what the sex in the sign is for though.

Haha, so many great photos there. I have to copy that Modern Toilet idea for Toronto!

I had that thought too... I think it would work. If word got out many locals would want to check it out at least once and you'd have an endless supply of tourists. Just keep the meals simple and under $10.

Thanks for the phototour. Did you encounter many English speakers, or did you get around based on signs and ordering off menu cards?

It seemed as if everyone could speak basic English. I got lost wandering around the mountains (got off at a university rather than the tourist lookout to do some exploring) and there was some old man perched way above the city in a very remote location who came up to me and told me where I could find a great lookout that tourists don't know about, and he was right... I was surprised he even spoke english. Even at 4am in mcdonalds (after a "few beers") I had no problems speaking with the employee there. It was much, much better than Seoul. I didn't make use of any aids or language cards but I'm quite used to marching into places that don't speak english and getting by.

Last edited:
I like that death to drug dealers sign. This law would have wiped out 1/2 my high school.:)

That restaurant is the shit (almost literally!).

Taipei rocks. I've never been anywhere else in Asia but, wandering around, I thought that Taipei would be some weird mash up between a badass tropical Asian city (like Manila, Jakarta or Saigon) and some hybrid of Japan and Korea. Your photos remind me of this very clearly.

I thought that Taipei would be some weird mash up between a badass tropical Asian city (like Manila, Jakarta or Saigon) and some hybrid of Japan and Korea. Your photos remind me of this very clearly.

And it is. Taipei (like Korea) was ruled and developed by the Japanese for the first half of the 20th century, and since the 1950s and 60s development has been fueled by the same kind of economic miracle that many Southeast Asian countries went through in the 1990s.

Back