40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A shame the Canadian Tire and Ikea parking lots couldn't be made to disappear underground. Imagine Canadian Tire as the old Eaton store at Queen and Yonge and Ikea as the current Bay Store at the same location with Concord Park Place being the surrounding neighbours. I guess they can't make neighbourhoods like that anymore. At least not in the suburbs.

A shame the Canadian Tire and Ikea parking lots couldn't be made to disappear underground. Imagine Canadian Tire as the old Eaton store at Queen and Yonge and Ikea as the current Bay Store at the same location with Concord Park Place being the surrounding neighbours. I guess they can't make neighbourhoods like that anymore. At least not in the suburbs.

I wouldn't quite call Shepperd between Bayview and Leslie the suburbs, would you? Definitely suburban in comparison to downtown, and other parts of North York, even.

I think I would call ALLl of Sheppard Ave suburbs. You have onlhy to look at the design of the road itself and of the neighbourhoods along it's way.

I think I would call ALLl of Sheppard Ave suburbs. You have onlhy to look at the design of the road itself and of the neighbourhoods along it's way.

It may look similar to the suburban communities we're familiar with, but suburbs by definition are located on the outskirts of towns or cities. Are we venturing so far as to say that this stretch of Sheppard Avenue represents the outskirts of the city of Toronto? And besides, highrise developments such as these rarely happen in true suburbs.

It may look similar to the suburban communities we're familiar with, but suburbs by definition are located on the outskirts of towns or cities. Are we venturing so far as to say that this stretch of Sheppard Avenue represents the outskirts of the city of Toronto? And besides, highrise developments such as these rarely happen in true suburbs.

In Toronto, high-rise construction in "true suburbs" has been the norm since the 1950s. Surely you've seen the archival photos of high-rise apartments going up in empty fields in the 1960s on what were the outskirts of the city.

This part of the city, North York, has been traditionally seen as a suburb because of its distance from the more historic core of Toronto where the most important institutions are located to this day. Suburb is used in a historical sense; North York isn't completely different today from the 1960s. Some areas in Toronto like along St. Clair West could still be called "streetcar suburbs". Older cities like Paris have areas still thought of as suburbs that could be mistaken for a city centre.

They have done a decent job of having the buildings run up against the sidewalk for the most part which is good urban design. The courtyards are certainly more expansive than normal though. This development is similar to CityPlace which is not as urban as smaller scale properties with varying designs and no courtyards, but more urban than the towers in the park that used to get built.

Back