That future render by steveve hurts my eyes. Our beautiful downtown skyline is vanishing into a sea of blue/green glass boxes and condos. Call me nostalgic but I liked it when the downtown core was defined by the CN Tower and the bank towers (our best structures).

As for this tower, it doesn't look to do too much damage. The proportions make it look a bit fat/squat though.

Apart from being ultra modern the tower fills the gap between the west lower Simcoe, Front street cluster and the financial core. Once completed I believe we can truly use term Manhattanization to accurately describe the downtown core.... or perhaps Manhattan can use the word Torontoization.

(btw... not a criticism, but did you maybe 'ghost' in the earlier/taller render of 160 Front W?).
Very likely. I just grabbed the one posted on the previous page with no real thought involved

I trust the @steveve model far more than my quick mockup, and his shows that very little would be obscured from the CN Tower. Interesting that CC3 wouldn't really block anything from that angle.
Also interesting is how prominent Bloor&Yonge/Yorkville will be to the north in the future! Especially moving back and forth between steveve's model and your image!

Hopefully the Mirvish+Gehry project once built will have an observation deck too.

20200922_222300.jpg

Apart from being ultra modern the tower fills the gap between the west lower Simcoe, Front street cluster and the financial core. Once completed I believe we can truly use term Manhattanization to accurately describe the downtown core.... or perhaps Manhattan can use the word Torontoization.
Just one building (which is not even going to be top 5 tallest in the city) is not going to change the downtown so much. Downtown Toronto is too big to be significantly affected by a building like this.

Secondly, Bay Street is a lot more "Manhattenized" already than Front Street will ever be.

Just one building (which is not even going to be top 5 tallest in the city) is not going to change the downtown so much. Downtown Toronto is too big to be significantly affected by a building like this.

Secondly, Bay Street is a lot more "Manhattenized" already than Front Street will ever be.

Ah the subtly of interpretation. The vibe I get from walking thru mid town Manhattan is not so much the peaks but extensiveness of the built out area hence my comment about the infilling between the downtown financial core and the satellite outcrops to me is Manhattanization. The term itself is a big subjective and I'm open to all interpretations. I agree with your point about Bay street and hope in the near future the Greyhound bus terminal area will be redeveloped along with The Hub filling the lower end of the street. Thanks for your insight.

I think once the Well and 160 Front street get developed, it will really make a difference.

I have highlighted the Well as Yellow.

But those areas I have highlighted in Red need to get re-developed as well. And the Green is the Rail Deck Park. That will really make Front Street amazing.

Hopefully we can add Metro Toronto Convention Center redevelopment and that Cesar Peli redevelopment to this as well.

front street.png

Draper St is never going to be redeveloped, but there's plenty of density coming to Front and Portland.

Front and Spadina will be getting a couple of big developments too, at 2 Clarence Square and 400 Front.

The only one of the red areas that doesn't yet have a development application, as far as I know, is the parking lot at Front and Windsor.

Front Street between Union Station and Spadina is astonishingly ugly. I'm not sure a few good buildings on the available lots is enough to change that. The entire road and public realm needs to dug up and re-designed. Even then, what do you do with all the crap lining it?

Back