News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Northern, I recall an interactive map, maybe the Toronto Star, that had every TDSB schools and it's current capacity. Do you recall?

I will have a look, but in the mean time, you may want to try that quote again, you've quoted me, but somehow its attributed to innsertnamehere.

@mjl08

This is a good resource highlighting where excess capacity exists in the TDSB (with maps)

City TV has a report here on the issue:

1681823986643.png

Central Tech is an interesting case; an absolutely gorgeous heritage building as its centrepiece which demands preservation.
'
A lot of the 'excess capacity' results from additions and outbuildings; but those are where many of the specialty programs are located. (swimming, aircraft and auto maintenance etc)

If you wanted to fold another High School into it, you run into more problems, there are only two close by, one is Harbord, a gorgeous old heritage building one wouldn't want to see lost, but also not a particularly logical site for development of any height.

Or you could fold Heydon Park Secondary, which is a bit closer to downtown, with a facility I don't think anyone would cry over losing, except for the location (and for some the programming); but its just off Beverly and there's no real provision for anything tall there either.

The best development site in the bunch is the north end outbuildings of Central Tech which are kitty-corner to Mirvish Village, and being north of the school field would not present a shadowing issue; but the cost of retrofitting the heritage building to add-back the facilities that would be lost would be prohibitive I would think.

@mjl08

This is a good resource highlighting where excess capacity exists in the TDSB (with maps)

City TV has a report here on the issue:

View attachment 470196

Central Tech is an interesting case; an absolutely gorgeous heritage building as its centrepiece which demands preservation.
'
A lot of the 'excess capacity' results from additions and outbuildings; but those are where many of the specialty programs are located. (swimming, aircraft and auto maintenance etc)

If you wanted to fold another High School into it, you run into more problems, there are only two close by, one is Harbord, a gorgeous old heritage building one wouldn't want to see lost, but also not a particularly logical site for development of any height.

Or you could fold Heydon Park Secondary, which is a bit closer to downtown, with a facility I don't think anyone would cry over losing, except for the location (and for some the programming); but its just off Beverly and there's no real provision for anything tall there either.

The best development site in the bunch is the north end outbuildings of Central Tech which are kitty-corner to Mirvish Village, and being north of the school field would not present a shadowing issue; but the cost of retrofitting the heritage building to add-back the facilities that would be lost would be prohibitive I would think.

The McGuinty and Wynne governments, while typically increasing the educational budgets year-over-year, faced a lot of backlash for closing schools in rural Ontario and creating mega-schools in their place. I suspect that Toronto closures would be met with similar opposition, especially in denser communities where schools are seen as community assets and places for recreation (school gyms, sports fields, etc.)

Not a TDSB property, being in Mississauga.

Back