News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

J

jozl

Does anyone know if the very nasty Saint Michael's Hospital parking garage on the NE corner of Shutter and Victoria is slated for any sort of development or (hopefully) demolition? It's hideous and in terrible disrepair. I don't think that the people in the Pantages Tower across the street are too thrilled with it either.

The NE corner of Victoria and Queen is another Saint Michael's Hospital prize winner. It's a run down parking lot that's full of garbage, dumpsters and homeless people.

What's with Saint Michael's? Is their board blind or just dumb? I can't believe the crappy presence they have RIGHT DOWNTOWN! Just compare them to the hospitals on University Avenue!

I feel a grumpy letter to my city councillor coming on.

The garage is a necessity as well as the storage area - adapt to them

BTW, They just added 2 extra storeys to the garage on the south side of Queen, across from St Mike's about a year ago to provide more parking - apparently it is still not enough parking for one of the two GTA trama centres.

St.Mike's original purpose was a small quarantine hospital on Bond St. over the years however it was developed into Toronto’s main trauma centre, which led to all the nasty brick extensions. If you go to bond St. you can see how beautiful and quaint the original structure is.

Points taken, however, I'm not talking about Bond street I'm talking about Victoria Street and Queen Street and it's hard to argue that the sites I mention are anything but neglected. Adapt to it? I don't think so, not in downtown Toronto. It wouldn't cost millions to clean up these sites. Come on! If a private land owner had such disregard for the public frontage of his property this forum would be all over him.

Does anyone know if the very nasty Saint Michael's Hospital parking garage on the NE corner of Shutter and Victoria is slated for any sort of development or (hopefully) demolition?

Long term - yes. It's in the hospital's masterplan.

Canuck was wrong. Not a 40 storey condo at all. Though, of course, in mid 2003 who knew?

Looking closely at it yesterday, I'm almost willing to suspect that the "garage" was meant to be the first stage of a larger building which never came to be...

^Really? looks like your standard 1940s/1950s institutional building

Yes. But by the looks of things, it was meant to have more storeys plopped on top of it--which would likely have modified the present predominant "garage effect".

Doesn't mean it would have been good and/or attractive--probably consistent with the other postwar brick hospi-sludge around it.

I also think (maybe it's the metal louvers?) that it's probably newer than it seems--late 50s or even early 60s? Only reason it seems older is that Catholic-sponsored institutional architecture in Toronto at this time tended to be terribly stodgy (cf. contemporary Catholic schools around town)...

Check out the recent thread "New St. Mike's Hospital Research Centre" in the "Projects and Construction" section. It was announced a couple of weeks ago that a spiffy new building will soon go up on the NE corner of Victoria and Shuter. A good step in redeveloping this neighbourhood, and by the way enhancing Toronto's reputation as a research centre.

Observer Walt:

I think this thread was rescued from oblivion as a result of that piece of news :p

GB

Back