40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Shige Sakamoto spent a week in Toronto back in 1977, and took several photographs. Damon Schreiber is retracing Sakamoto's steps, taking photos of the same locations today.

Here's two examples...

c0c2c125fbd45a321d37bccbb1deda62_small.jpg

5cf4b66ce9fecb6747cac95c1762b47a_small.jpg

The rest can be found here...

http://electro.aminus3.com/

Use the 'previous day' link to navigate.

I'm starting to think it was a shame that we lost the old Eaton's building on Queen Street. I'm too young to remember it, but that picture at least gives it a real dignified look from Yonge.

They should have saved the facade.

Edit: The one thing I noticed about those images is just how much more vital and busier the city appears today, compared with 30 years ago.

Fascinating pictures from 30 years ago. Call me picky, but some of them should have been labelled more carefully. A picture of Bay St. is labelled Yonge St., and no fewer than three pictures are labelled Carlton Street, none of which actually shows that street.

It's always very interesting to have a view into the past.

I think I have looked at these for over an hour. Great shots. Almost like peering through a time observation machine they are so well done with the positioning and subjects.

Lots of trees these days, and bike lanes.
Really great stuff
Thanks

Man, look at the size of the cars back then. How did anybody ever park? Did they need to register them with Liberia to save money? :)

that's insane!

The 1977 cars are all American. Compare that to the vehicles in 2007.

Retracing Sakamoto's steps is very well done! Yonge Street was so vibrant, exciting and edgy in the '70's & '80's. I really miss the grind-house, action & art house cinemas between Queen & Bloor (The Biltmore, Rio, Coronet, The Downtown, Cinema 2000, New Yorker, Cinecity and the Yonge). The theatres, the clubs and the record stores made downtown Yonge a memorable place to spend on weekends.

Back