News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

carrefour

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto selling itself as full package for gay travellers
More than just a place to get married, Toronto aiming to compete as a destination for same-sex vacationers

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
From Monday's Globe and Mail
November 17, 2008 at 4:37 AM EST
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081117.wtourism17/BNStory/National/home

It's not just about the wedding chapel any more, as Toronto steps up efforts to attract gay and lesbian tourists.

Despite setbacks for same-sex unions in the United States - this month California reinstated a ban on gay marriage - Toronto as a city to tie the knot in is not the key message.

"Marriage is one thing that has positioned Toronto well, but it is beyond inviting gay travellers to come here to get married," says Andrew Weir, vice-president of communications for Tourism Toronto. "We are not saying, 'Come see our gay village.' We are saying, 'Come see our destination which has all the things sophisticated travellers look for.' "

Over the past three years, the largely industry-funded visitor and convention bureau has tripled its budget aimed at gays to almost $500,000 this year.

Typical of the result of marketing the entire city as a destination is San Francisco resident Alfred Hu, a computer programmer on a return visit to Toronto this week.

He chose to stay at the Banting House Inn, a gay-friendly bed and breakfast near Church and Wellesley streets, using it as a base to explore ethnic neighbourhoods, check out Honest Ed's, take in a play and wrap up his stay with a trip to the Art Gallery of Ontario, which just reopened. "It's a city I can come back to again and again," says Mr. Hu, who last visited two years ago.

In taking on Montreal and Vancouver for more gay visitors - who typically stay longer, spend more and are freer to plan trips throughout the year - Toronto scored big by snagging the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association convention for the first time next May. The event is expected to draw 500 members from 25 countries.

"Toronto is a very desirable city for the community because of all the things it has to offer: culture, a large local [gay] community and easy side trips to Niagara and Ottawa," says John Tanzella, executive director of IGLTA. "It is very appealing."

What clinched the deal, he says, was the city's diverse events and close collaboration with local gay businesses.

It was not always that way.

In 2003, Toronto council's only openly gay member, Kyle Rae, blasted officials for ignoring the gay travel market.

Today, he heads a gay advisory panel for Tourism Toronto and led the successful sales pitch to the IGLTA.

As well, the arrival last year of David Whitaker, a former top official of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitor Bureau (in stiff competition with Ft. Lauderdale for gay visitors), as president of Tourism Toronto signalled a sharper focus on the gay travel market.

As a result, Toronto has tapped significant subgroups of the gay travel market, says Bruce McDonald, co-founder of the Canadian Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

"There are 300 gay and lesbian sporting events and conferences that move around on international basis," he says. "This was a market no one had looked at before."

The Prime Timers, a social group for gay men over 40 with more than 60 chapters across North America, arrive in July, with the International Gay Rodeo Association in October. Both cases are examples of Toronto building a word-of-mouth reputation among gays.

"In the U.S., they still don't know we have a climate here where we get warm in the summer, but they do know about the marriage issue here," says Mr. McDonald.

On other fronts, Tourism Toronto has joined with the Church Wellesley Village Business Improvement Area to market a new event to an international audience. This year, the agency put up $30,000 for "Hallow Week," the BIA's week-long festival of food, film and fun now in its second year, which draws 55,000 people on Halloween night.

"It has been hugely beneficial for us," says BIA co-ordinator David Wootton, whose organization put up $25,000. Tourism Toronto marketed the event in the U.S. and England.

Once gay visitors get a taste of Toronto, says Banting House Inn co-owner David Hyde, the city sells itself.

On one occasion, he says the bed and breakfast - gay-friendly but open to straight visitors - had two sets of newly weds, one gay, one straight, at the breakfast table.

"It was a little quiet at first but the next day they were showing each other pictures and they went out to dinner together," he says. "That is what Toronto is all about."

My opinion is: Bring on the Gay Dollars. And if vacationing Mormons are an untapped resource, give me them Mormon Dollars too. And I ain't against the Black, the Jew, the American, the WASP, the French and the Extraterrestrial Dollars either. Give me any Dollars. Dollars is Dollars.

Only colour that matters is green... and I guess blue and purple and red and brown.

Nevermind.

Last edited:
^lol

"In the U.S., they still don't know we have a climate here where we get warm in the summer, but they do know about the marriage issue here," says Mr. McDonald.

That's so hard to believe.

I'm not sure if everyone in the US knows about the gay marriage issue here. But I think not everyone in the US knows Canada doesn't live in ice and snow all year round.

Okay, I have to ask a question that seems based on stereotyping, but reflects my experience thus far. Living in Cabbagetown I have lots of gay and lesbian neighbours. I've also had more than a few friends and former classmates come out as G/L. Here's my observation, the gay men I see always appear to be well kept, slim, handsome guys careful (but not metrosexually obsessed) about their appearance. The lesbians I know on the other hand seem the polar opposite, being rough, mostly overweight, Meg Griffin-like, with scruffy appearance, short rough haircuts, etc. My wife and I had this exact conversation a few days ago when another female classmate of our from highschool came out and fit this criteria perfectly.

So, there seem to be plenty of attractive gays, but where are the good looking lesbians? Is there some sort of lesbian dress code?

So, there seem to be plenty of attractive gays, but where are the good looking lesbians? Is there some sort of lesbian dress code?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_lesbian

attractive women or average women you see every day could be lesbians. there really is no way to tell. butch broads are easy to spot because of their style but other lesbians are hard to spot. but some times, even women that appear to be butch might be straight.

here's my foolproof method of telling:

if you see a chick walking down the street and she starts sucking another girl's tits, you got yourself a lesbian. if you see a big strong woman buying plumbing supplies at the hardware store, you got yourself a plumber. ;)

Okay, I have to ask a question that seems based on stereotyping, but reflects my experience thus far. Living in Cabbagetown I have lots of gay and lesbian neighbours. I've also had more than a few friends and former classmates come out as G/L. Here's my observation, the gay men I see always appear to be well kept, slim, handsome guys careful (but not metrosexually obsessed) about their appearance. The lesbians I know on the other hand seem the polar opposite, being rough, mostly overweight, Meg Griffin-like, with scruffy appearance, short rough haircuts, etc. My wife and I had this exact conversation a few days ago when another female classmate of our from highschool came out and fit this criteria perfectly.

I know a few gay guys that definitely don't fit the stereotype. They're pretty messy and don't put too much thought into their dress. A lot of people might not assume they're gay at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_lesbian

attractive women or average women you see every day could be lesbians. there really is no way to tell. butch broads are easy to spot because of their style but other lesbians are hard to spot. but some times, even women that appear to be butch might be straight.
Of course you're right, which is what piqued my curiousity, since every lesbian I know is of the rough, gruff and tough variety.

if you see a chick walking down the street and she starts sucking another girl's tits, you got yourself a lesbian.

Chick, as in baby? Could be a mother breastfeeding.

if you see a big strong woman buying plumbing supplies at the hardware store, you got yourself a plumber.

A couple of weekends back I was in a bar in Syracuse. Now I know that along with all those gay guys, there were also lots of female plumbers there. ;)

Back