What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The towers look really nice for sure, but one thing they did in the design that I love is making that "link" building a similar height to the buildings around it in that area. The street presence in that 109th and Jasper section is turning into something really cool, almost like Edmonton's mini Times Square with those LEDs on the Mayfair and WSP! Now all we need is Canterra strip mall to redevelop and for a cool building to go on that corner too!

Take a deep breath in and exhale out your niose; repeat... in... out the nose.🙏
Massive game changer this would be. Breath in...
This would be one of those defining projects for a city. The whole concept is the kind of stuff that you'd seen in NYC, Toronto, Chicago... Total big city vibes and it would start building up the west side of our DT skyline.

My dream is for Canterra plaza to have it's parking mostly removed and converted into a public square.
My dream is for the Canterra to be fully redeveloped into something like this building we're talking here. I absolutely despise strip malls and having it in one of the most prime spaces in the city makes me want to barf every single time.
As for your dream, I'd love to see it happen along 104 Avenue, with the Brewery district and Oliver Square: underground parking, develop the street facing portion as mid-rise mixed used and everything between the current stores and the new buildings would become a park stretching from 112 to 121 street, intersected by 116 street.

Fine for the people parking there, who would probably disagree about it being a waste of space.

While I appreciate more walkable developments and hope there are more, I don't think it will happen there for some time.

It's an interesting discussion to have. Certainly, businesses will want parking to expand their customer base. If there was limited parking would it negatively impact business? I would think but when I watch certain video clips of European cities who eliminated parking from certain areas to the fear of businesses, it turned out well for their bottom line overall. But, those videos are from groups advocating for more active transportation and that more roads just tend to lead to more traffic and congestion.
I would personally like to see more focus and resources on active transportation, but I also don't have a business to try and make a living on so I guess it's easier for me to say.
I was hopeful about 105 avenue when it looked like it would be parking free, but it seems that has changed and now there will be street parking to the sacrifice of separated bike lanes as that is what businesses in the area preferred.

Fine for the people parking there, who would probably disagree about it being a waste of space.

While I appreciate more walkable developments and hope there are more, I don't think it will happen there for some time.
I shop on that Save On Foods regularly, ever since I've moved to the area and even pre-covid, I've NEVER seen that parking lot more than 30% full.
We also need to start making SOME sort of push towards making our cities less car dependant, at least in the downtowns and other dense areas.
A strip mall in one of the most desirable locations in Edmonton is a tremendous waste of space and sends the wrong message as to what we want our city to be (if that is a modern, vibrant big city that is environmentally responsible and not a wasteland of suburban sprawl and nimbysm). I understand that it is a product of its time and it made sense when it was first built, but it doesn't make it any less anachronistic.

As most of you know, I walk to get most things and want a more urban look/feel, but there are 50 other spots more important to develop and or have infill happen before this needs attention.
Which doesn't mean it's not sticking like a sore thumb in what could be the nicest corner in Edmonton.

As most of you know, I walk to get most things and want a more urban look/feel, but there are 50 other spots more important to develop and or have infill happen before this needs attention.
I agree. There are strip malls in Vancouver in places that should not have strip malls as well. Funny enough, some of them have Save On Foods in them too.

Unlike Vancouver, we have a lot of empty surface parking lots scattered throughout downtown that I would rather see redeveloped before this gets redeveloped. I think this serves a good purpose/hub to nearby residents even if I don't like the parking lot. Given there is park space beside it, we should be glad we have something. It will likely get redeveloped in the future, just not immediately.

I would say be careful what you wish for with Canterra.

I think of lots like the BMO site, Arlington, Emerald first and foremost and then the giant parking lot across from Arlington, Chez Pierre, lots between 104 Street and 107 Street north of Jasper that are higher priority than this or have recently become barren lots. The list goes on.

If you get rid of that strip mall, downtown becomes far more automobile-centric. It serves a purpose and drastically improve's my condo's walk score. If you guys get rid of it, I WILL FIGHT YOU.
Getting rid of it would include having retail and services in the podium, wouldn't impact your condo's walk score. If anything, for the better. No one's arguing to make it into yet another parking lot.

Back