What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I figured I'd snap some photos while scouting out this project's #1 amenity.
PXL_20230819_170148207.MP.jpg
PXL_20230819_170352483.MP.jpg
PXL_20230819_170426995.MP.jpg

Please don't tell me they are using stucco on their exterior. I thought they were going to be using spandrel glass...

They really are adding a ton of trees to the area. If they absolutely need to chop some down, it won't be a tragedy. I'll walk it down after breakfast and see if the existing trees line up with the tree plan.

Update: Just walked it down. I think virtually every tree is scheduled for replacement.

The trees along Audrey's Books aren't really something worth keeping, and the ones chosen will work better for the space. I'd like to note that most of these tree have had countless limbs taken off them due to the proximity to parked cars and the narrow sidewalk (see photo). I understand an approach that leans on replacing every tree.
I don't believe I've heard anything about any of the existing trees staying either. The catch-22 opinion from Forestry is that the existing boulevard trees are not in soil cells, with new street scaping, new trees would be healthier and do better long term. The existing ones are also likely not in the right location. It is unlikely once the park is built it will get any capital renewal in the next 30-40 years so the opinion of the City will be to do it right now.

The trees can be cut around, lifted, and stored on site (through a dormant phase) and then placed in positions with a soil-cell surround. A qualified arborist could oversee the process. As far as new trees, the City might look to place trees in the most mature form possible from local nurseries -- ideally 60" boxes.

I thought that the tree varietal was also being changed to have better resiliency? But yes, soil cells... although, I thought Capital BLVD had then, no?

I thought that the tree varietal was also being changed to have better resiliency? But yes, soil cells... although, I thought Capital BLVD had then, no?
The trees on Capital Boulevard are growing nicely and appear healthy. I seem to remember them installing soil cells, yes. However, 108 street doesn’t border or pass through the park site, only 106 and 107 Streets, both of which have very unhealthy trees.

The trees on Capital Boulevard are growing nicely and appear healthy. I seem to remember them installing soil cells, yes. However, 108 street doesn’t border or pass through the park site, only 106 and 107 Streets, both of which have very unhealthy trees.
Yeah, I am looking at 106 St north of Jasper Ave to 102 Ave now, I only see one tree left on the block on the whole west side. The east side is doing much better though.

Shows $10,000. The value often is not accurate - or it might be reflected on another phase's permit. @Avenuer would know better.
All I can find is that the permit is to allow the installation of roofing, interior steel stud wall framing, exterior wall systems and exterior cladding only. So not super helpful.

Back