They request to pay upfront.
One detail to be aware of - when payments are made for upgrades, they do not generally go into the trust account maintained by their lawyer. The upgrade payments go directly to the developer's project specific corporation's bank account. When the Urbancorp bankruptcy took place, the purchasers of Riverdale Towns project then underway had to repurchase their units. Their deposits were protected, but my understanding is they were out of pocket for all the monies they had paid for upgrades.

So if the specific project craters after having paid for the upgrades, one does not get the money back, unlike the initial deposit and subsequent progress payments which go into the lawyers trust account. I do not know if it is possible, but perhaps your lawyer can request a parent company guaranty (i.e. not the project specific legal entity) on payments made for your upgrades.

I just found out they're up to floor 22 for picking finishes. Floors 23 and higher will be in the next few weeks. I believe upgrades are usually pay upfront. I had to pay in advance when I made a customization to the floor plan in 2019.
You were able to customize the floor plan? How did that work? Did you just convert a 3 bed into 2 or what did you do?

You were able to customize the floor plan? How did that work? Did you just convert a 3 bed into 2 or what did you do?
I requested pocket doors between the livingroom and 2nd bedroom to maximize light and flow. I believe they allow customization before the concrete for the unit is poured. You can add outlets, change size of appliances, etc. They sent out an email about this in June 2020. You'd have to contact customer care to find out the deadline for adjustments like that.

One detail to be aware of - when payments are made for upgrades, they do not generally go into the trust account maintained by their lawyer. The upgrade payments go directly to the developer's project specific corporation's bank account. When the Urbancorp bankruptcy took place, the purchasers of Riverdale Towns project then underway had to repurchase their units. Their deposits were protected, but my understanding is they were out of pocket for all the monies they had paid for upgrades.

So if the specific project craters after having paid for the upgrades, one does not get the money back, unlike the initial deposit and subsequent progress payments which go into the lawyers trust account. I do not know if it is possible, but perhaps your lawyer can request a parent company guaranty (i.e. not the project specific legal entity) on payments made for your upgrades.
Thank you. This is good to know. We did not spend a lot on upgrades. It was somewhat hard to select anything virtually. I am not sure if it’s worth all those troubles to go through lawyers (need to admit that I am somewhat lost a contact with the lawyer too 😊).

I requested pocket doors between the livingroom and 2nd bedroom to maximize light and flow. I believe they allow customization before the concrete for the unit is poured. You can add outlets, change size of appliances, etc. They sent out an email about this in June 2020. You'd have to contact customer care to find out the deadline for adjustments like that.

We did not receive any emails re. customization of the floor plan from Pemberton.

Well we thought we did. Seller backed out at the last minute. It worked out to $1115 per square foot. I think it's too far out to do an assignment - extremely complicated to protect all parties. Builder has said spring 2023 for occupancy ~. So no, we didn't get one unfortunately.
Hi Coleen, Are you still interested in purchasing a unit at Time and Space?

I am looking into buying a south facing podium unit in this square block. (this is not the unit I want, but I am trying to figure out where is the south edge of this square ring. Any one can give me a pointer.
WT 1 bedroom den 635 Sq Ft.jpg

I am looking into buying a south facing podium unit in this square block. (this is not the unit I want, but I am trying to figure out where is the south edge of this square ring. Any one can give me a pointer. View attachment 371273
The top of the ‘square ring’ is north, so the south would be the bottom. On the level L9, for example, units 15 through 19 face directly south, and units 14 and 20 have side walls facing south.

Keep in mind you’ll be looking directly into the courtyard between the two southerly buildings with one of the south facing units you’re looking at, that may or may not be a big factor to you. Although this may be mitigated by how high up you are.

Back