News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the TTC Special Constables should be merged into the Toronto Police, and become a dedicated TPS Transit Constable division, as in New York after the MTA cops and NYPD amalgamated. This artificial distinction between the two cannot, and should not, continue, especially when TTC Constables are ultimately answerable to the Chief of Police under the Ontario Police Act anyway, for any use of force they use. Might as well bring everyone under one roof.

re-amalgamating metro's millicents

but did not the commission constabulary get going because TPS weren't assigning enough crushers to the underground or omnibuses?

if they merge, who's gonna insist the Chief pay attention to TTC priorities?

for example, enforcing bus lanes does not figure as a high TPS priority and who's to argue...

Police Agency clarification...and a suggestion to IT...

FL: Let me clarify the NYPD agencies here: Back in the late 90s the NYPD absorbed the NYC Housing Police and the NYC Transit Police. These were separate NYC Police agencies and were NOT previously part of the NYPD. The NYCTPD became the NYPD Transit Bureau. Their jurisdiction is the five boroughs of NYC.

The MTA Police was the result of the merger in the late 90s of the Long Island Rail Road PD; The Metro-North Commuter Railroad Police and the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority Police. I believe the Staten Island Rapid Transit PD was also part. They patrol MTA facilities in the Downstate NY region and they have police powers in Fairfield and New Haven Counties in Connecticut also to patrol MNCR's New Haven Line.

I just thought I would clarify this here-they are two separate police agencies.
Toronto should have a Transit Police of this type to patrol TTC facilities as part of TPD or its own agency.

IT:This type of crime is more of a NYC-type of crime-Not Toronto! Should I call Clint Eastwood ("Dirty Harry" Callahan)? After all-he played a cop!

Well, didn't the remake of "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" star Vincent D'Onofrio, a L&O actor? (D'Onofrio also played a victim of a Baltimore subway pushing incident in a great episode of Homicide)

All D'Onofrio, all the time! (It'll make you wonder what major malfunction caused this spin-off idea)

Back