I heard that only the columns that hold the drainage pipes are getting the polished cladding. The rest will remain bare galvanized steel. Source: installer of said cladding.

View attachment 73495
Well, if that's true, that's a huge disappointment for the roofs. It also doesn't make much aesthetic sense. But how do you account for the same polished cladding being applied at street level to the huge lobby poles both inside the lobby and outside the rear entrance to ICE 2 (some already clad, just waiting for the covering tape to be removed) or account for the slots in the ceilings at the street level canopy where such cladding might fit? Wondering if that's the whole story...

I am not saying ground level columns will not be clad. I agree that it appears they have plans for these ones. I was just told that the columns on level 70/roof are complete, "as-is".

EDIT— The biggest loss for this building is that the rooftops are restricted space. No unauthorized entry permitted! This is a damn shame. The roofs are actually paved with white pavers and have shoulder high railings on all sides. No danger here. Plus the aesthetic created from being under the "cheese hats" is simply amazing! This space should have been a patio/bbq/sun-deck. Damn shame I tell yah that only a limited few will ever be able to enjoy this...

Last edited:
I am not saying ground level columns will not be clad. I agree that it appears they have plans for these ones. I was just told that the columns on level 70/roof are complete, "as-is".

EDIT— The biggest loss for this building is that the rooftops are restricted space. No unauthorized entry permitted! This is a damn shame. The roofs are actually paved with white pavers and have shoulder high railings on all sides. No danger here. Plus the aesthetic created from being under the "cheese hats" is simply amazing! This space should have been a patio/bbq/sun-deck. Damn shame I tell yah that only a limited few will ever be able to enjoy this...
American style accountability, i.e., suing over everything, has made it's way up here over the last decade. That's why we can't have fun things, everyone is always worried about being sued when someone else does something stupid on their property. Condo boards won't risk having spaces like this available because of the ramifications is someone fell off. To be fair, the winds up this high would be intense, and a lot of material things would get blown off, which they too would be responsible for.

It sucks.

I would say there's a much greater concern of vandalism than being sued by allowing anyone to enter the building.

I would say there's a much greater concern of vandalism than being sued by allowing anyone to enter the building.
I suppose it's a bit of both. But it's not like vandalism is only a problem here, so there has to be another reason as well.

It is an amazing experience. Last September when I moved in I became friends with many of the security here and they'd always let people go up to the roof. Until management found out a bunch of security people lost their jobs. Living in this condo sucks honestly, I have so many complaints there's I don't know where to begin.

This looks great but I think the big negative associated with this project is the use of finishings at ground level; Namely concrete and only concrete for the sidewalks ... whereas all other nearby developments have went out of the way to do something different ..

I believe the concrete is only currently there because it will be replaced when the office portion is completed. I have no source for this but I'm assuming so as even the lamps by the entrance weren't replaced and it looks very very bad at street level for them to just leave it as is.

iceIMG_3518.JPG

Attachments

• iceIMG_3518.JPG
    iceIMG_3518.JPG
    554.4 KB · Views: 3,203
That's strange that they are adding a parapet flashing along the top of window-wall like that. I wonder what's up. I would think with wind loads applied that would be creating a problem, not solving one. Maybe it's to prevent moisture from entering the window wall assembly. But that's completely random conjecture.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for sharing. Great shots!

NIL OMNI: fantastic shots from up top.
Some photos from the base, taken early last week in my downtown jaunt.

ICE-May17-16A.png
ICE-May17-16B.png
ICE-May17-16C.png
ICE-May17-16D.png
ICE-May17-16E.png
ICE-May17-16F.png
ICE-May17-16G.png
ICE-May17-16H.png
ICE-May17-16I.png

Attachments

• ICE-May17-16A.png
    ICE-May17-16A.png