You get what you pay for, its like comparing some big detached home in Parkdale to some puny semi on the Danforth........Different buildings, different designs and prices, same goes for the area. Many people on this forum seem to compare and expect that every tower going up in Toronto should be priced the same per sq.foot.:eek:

So since Ice and Casa are pretty expensive buildings, are you implying the higher the price, the crappier the floorplans?

I'm shocked, shocked that the first tower of this is 80% sold. What's on offer for the price and the layout is simply ridiculous....but I do love the design. I'd be very very interested to see how many people are actually from Toronto who bought into this building. My guess is it's very low.

Really?
Layouts are pretty good for 2 bedroom units. Ensuite bathrooms and both bedrooms get full access to windows if not balconies. Pricing on the upper most floors for 2-3 beds was in the 550k - 650k range which compares pretty well considering: Location/View/Builder/Architect

The last time i had to clean a dead rat of my lovely deck, i seriously considered the following statement, "should've bought the condo"

Really?
Layouts are pretty good for 2 bedroom units. Ensuite bathrooms and both bedrooms get full access to windows if not balconies. Pricing on the upper most floors for 2-3 beds was in the 550k - 650k range which compares pretty well considering: Location/View/Builder/Architect

The last time i had to clean a dead rat of my lovely deck, i seriously considered the following statement, "should've bought the condo"

seriously, how often does that happen?

for $650K you could buy a renovated 2storey semi-detached just west or east of d/t core in Roncesvalle or Prime/South Riverdale.

I too agree that the floorplans @ ICE are poorly laid out ~ I take issue with the small linear kitchens, wasted hallways, and interior bedrooms (in some units)

Considering the 2 bedroom units at ICE are only 751, 770, and 791 sq.ft. respectively, the above noted price range is outragerous IMO ~

i'm just saying...it could happen.
But for my parents who sold their house in ronce's this kind of building is exactly what they are looking for. Also, childless couples with disposable cash that don't like to commute (DINK's). Riverdale/Ronce's are great places to live, don't get me wrong - just not everyone's cup of tea.

for $650K you could buy a renovated 2storey semi-detached just west or east of d/t core in Roncesvalle or Prime/South Riverdale.

Yeah with quadruple the property taxes and huge utility bills, dont forget you have to put out the garbage and shovel the snow, and by the way dont leave your house alone when your away for a trip. Yeah there are pros and cons between both.:)

Yeah with quadruple the property taxes and huge utility bills, dont forget you have to put out the garbage and shovel the snow, and by the way dont leave your house alone when your away for a trip. Yeah there are pros and cons between both.:)

property taxes - based on CMV assessment, a house might be 20% more than a condo;

utility bills - it might be more or less since one could control their own usage and not have to contend with common areas like elevators, hall lights, gyms, etc using electricity 24/7; but also the SF in the house is probably DOUBLE the 800 SF condo at ICE for $650K gets you, so that's some trade off.

garbage - in a condo, you take the garbage to the shute; in a house you take it to the curb ... big deal !??!??!

snow shovel - don't want to do it, pay someone to do it .... that's all you're doing with the condo fees;

don't leave your house alone when you're away - are you serious, what city do you live in?
if you're concerned about that, there is such a thing called an alarm system that might cost $30-40/m.

... and another thing called friends - who will be happy to move in for a week or two while you're away, or check in now and then to keep an eye on things.

don't leave your house alone when you're away - are you serious, what city do you live in?
if you're concerned about that, there is such a thing called an alarm system that might cost $30-40/m.

Actually after you've been away for three days most home insurance policies require somebody to check in on the house daily in case of a plumbing leak or a problem with the heating or air conditioning that could cause heavy damage.

Ummm... you've heard of neighbours, right?

Actually after you've been away for three days most home insurance policies require somebody to check in on the house daily in case of a plumbing leak or a problem with the heating or air conditioning that could cause heavy damage.

Our next-door types are in MTL right now. We're taking in their mail and I delivered their blue bin to the curb this morning.

End of August, the situation will be reversed.

No worries.

My biggest problem with some of these new developments is that they seem to be pricing in appreciation that doesn't exist. When reviewing units, i found that Ice was in the $6-700/ft range. That is a 30-50% premium over comparable units in the area that are available now (Maple Leaf Square is also overpriced IMO). When this is finally finished (both phases), around 2015, I still don't think that it will command that price. I guess if people are willing to pay that, then that's the market price, but what's helped the new condo buying sector was a rejigging of prices/suites to better reflect what people could afford. I just don't think that with what rents are right now, anything over 500/ft is justifiable - and even that's at the very high end of things ($350/ft is what is necessary for current rentals to make money). Regardless of location. Plus, with the new City LTT, etc., that $550 000/750 ft suite will have closing costs of around $40 000. I just can't see this as sustainable. I do, however, hope I'm wrong. Mod's, I know i know...this belongs in RE. Sorry. As I said, I love the exterior design and think it will be a great addition to the skyline.

My biggest problem with some of these new developments is that they seem to be pricing in appreciation that doesn't exist. When reviewing units, i found that Ice was in the $6-700/ft range. That is a 30-50% premium over comparable units in the area that are available now (Maple Leaf Square is also overpriced IMO). When this is finally finished (both phases), around 2015, I still don't think that it will command that price. I guess if people are willing to pay that, then that's the market price, but what's helped the new condo buying sector was a rejigging of prices/suites to better reflect what people could afford. I just don't think that with what rents are right now, anything over 500/ft is justifiable - and even that's at the very high end of things ($350/ft is what is necessary for current rentals to make money). Regardless of location. Plus, with the new City LTT, etc., that $550 000/750 ft suite will have closing costs of around $40 000. I just can't see this as sustainable. I do, however, hope I'm wrong. Mod's, I know i know...this belongs in RE. Sorry. As I said, I love the exterior design and think it will be a great addition to the skyline.

It's true. For those that keep pointing to the location, it isn't $650/sq ft great considering Waterclub right next door is selling right now in real life for $450/sq foot easy. ICE is just waaaay too overpriced for what it is.

Back