With the additional height, Ice will be incredibly imposing from the lake.... probably taller than the traditional peak formed by FCP. This project will effectively re-define Toronto's skyline.

Depending on how close you are to any building, it can appear higher than the one behind it though, and views of the city from much the harbour - close in - are already dominated by the wall of condos along the water, and not by the CBD towers. From a picture postcard distance, FCP will still be #1, but yeah, it's lower floors are becoming more and more obstructed with every new addition to the skyline.

With the height increase, they should look approximately this tall from the islands.

4894323392_8a7a408aee_b.jpg

(Original courtesy Caltrane74 )

Traynor:

Actually, if you want to look at the flip side of the coin, how about developers putting forth proposals that are significantly different from what the OP and/or ZBL allow, with the expectation that if the city isn't willing to compromise in their favour the OMB appeal is always in the works - and at the same time putting these projects in the sales phase even before the legal dust settles. How's that for "unscrupulous"? Are you telling me that in light of this kind of dynamic, the city shouldn't attempt to extract maximum benefits for the community?

And yes, there is also that little episode on St. Mary St. that you can look up in P&C.

AoD

Don't get me wrong, I think all big business is evil. I believe in capitalism in theory, but in practice it's all deception, lies and scamming. Without being facetious, I have a naive and unrealistic view that all people should be out to help other people, not themselves. But the truth is everyone is out for themselves or to further their cause.

And that brings me to my second point...

That was the obvious assumption behind your initial statement, which could not have been interpreted in any other way. If that is not what you meant, then you should not have said it!

That is not how I meant it at all and it only goes to show how most people think about personal gain first and foremost. It never even crossed my mind when I was opining and ranting, that I was implying the individuals on that committee was seeking personal gain. I meant that they as a "group" were coercing money out of developers to further their cause as a "group"... Their "cause" being to better the community. In that way they are getting something they want for a price. That is the very definition of a bribe, even if it's not what most people think of, because they think of personal gain first. In my opinion, even if it is a noble and just cause, I don't feel the ends justify the means.

What I mean to say is, for example:

If you intend to save starving children somewhere, is it OK to lie, cheat or scam someone out of a donation? Sure your cause is altruistic, but the method to achieve it is less than honest.

I think we should respect all the views in this forum. Does any one know where they will add these floors?, is at at the base or top? what structural changes accounts for additional increase in height beside two additional floors on both the building?. Are they increasing the height of podium?.

The two additional residential levels will be placed in the middle section of both the 57s/67s buildings and according to the developer, near the floor-plan shift that dictates balcony location (29th and 30th).

Last edited by a moderator:
When was the height increase approved?

I somehow didn't notice the stat "67 floors" until now. Almost 70 floors... geesh! That's incredible.

I definitely am a bit mind boggled to realize that this skinny and mostly unremarkable condo is going to be as tall as The Bow in Calgary, BCE place's roof, etc. and almost as tall as much more anticipated towers like Aura and Trump. It's awesome, but on the other hand seems like a wasted opportunity, as the height and location *could* have resulted in something truly monumental.

That is a nice render. I dont mind the design of the ICE One and Two towers. They cut a nice shape into the Toronto skyline, with their height and curved exteriors. Now what will make or break this condos apperance will be the choice of cladding. If it is the best of the best, there will be no complaints. Looking at the renders, they appear to be skinned in some exotic looking sheathing.

That is a nice render. I dont mind the design of the ICE One and Two towers. They cut a nice shape into the Toronto skyline, with their height and curved exteriors. Now what will make or break this condos apperance will be the choice of cladding. If it is the best of the best, there will be no complaints. Looking at the renders, they appear to be skinned in some exotic looking sheathing.

As far as I can recall, I can't think of a single aA project that didn't have good, if not excellent, glass and/or cladding. I have high hopes for this one.

Hi,

I bought on on ICE2, on the 38th floor facing south.
Do you think, if no additional buildings south of ICE2 are built, I will be able to have a nice view of the lake?.
Thank for all future inputs.

Hi,

I bought on on ICE2, on the 38th floor facing south.
Do you think, if no additional buildings south of ICE2 are built, I will be able to have a nice view of the lake?.
Thank for all future inputs.

If no additional buildings are built, then yes, you would have a good lake view.

However, the City is actively trying to sell 120 Harbour (the triangular plot of land between Lake Share Boulevard, Harbour Street and York Street, directly south of the ICE development on the other side of Lake Shore), and is suggesting that up to 30 office floors or 50 residential floors would be acceptable at that location.

120 Harbour Feasability Study

A Sketchup model that wyliepoon created, of this possible new development:

south elevation
3196239562_0ab3f319a9_o.jpg

west elevation
3196239638_e76c8a55e3_o.jpg

east elevation
3196239712_25a462771f_o.jpg

3196239886_f1311d3c3a_o.jpg

3196239982_b088f4c9cb_o.jpg

3195395767_61c187a6cf_o.jpg

3196240170_0e7381acf4_o.jpg

3196240236_55c544710e_o.jpg

I definitely am a bit mind boggled to realize that this skinny and mostly unremarkable condo is going to be as tall as The Bow in Calgary, BCE place's roof, etc. and almost as tall as much more anticipated towers like Aura and Trump. It's awesome, but on the other hand seems like a wasted opportunity, as the height and location *could* have resulted in something truly monumental.

You think Ice looks unremarkable? I'd say they're the most attractive new tall condo development at the moment. When it comes to creating buildngs, especially at this height, that won't be regrettable in 10 years, understated elegance is the way to go.

I definitely am a bit mind boggled to realize that this skinny and mostly unremarkable condo is going to be as tall as The Bow in Calgary, BCE place's roof, etc. and almost as tall as much more anticipated towers like Aura and Trump.

Don't Forget One Bloor. ICE East is going to be 234.4m tall, while One Bloor is currently estimated at 234m, plus or minus a couple of metres. So they are in a virtual dead heat in the height race.

Back