^nice pics.
in the first two pics of Hypnotoad the skyline looks so congested and dense.

Earlier today:

P1410438.jpg

P1410439.jpg

P1410440.jpg

P1410441.jpg

Attachments

• P1410438.jpg
    P1410438.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,656
  • P1410439.jpg
    P1410439.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,641
  • P1410440.jpg
    P1410440.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,595
  • P1410441.jpg
    P1410441.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,606
im really sorry if this question was answered before but will the podium still feature the cool looking grass roof?

This photo in particular really puts the condo boom into perspective imo. I count at least 10 towers visible here that weren't around 10 years ago, in addition to the renovated plaza in front of the CN Tower. On top of that, there's another three towers on the way, at least two of which will be visible in this shot in another 12-18 months, in addition to Backstage which ought to start popping into view in another month or two.

We're building a truly special and amazing city, and this photo is a testament to it. Sometimes it's easy to focus on the shortcomings and negatives, but the plain truth is that we've got positives in spades. This kind and pace of development would be the envy of virtually every other city in North America, especially considering the state of the world's economies for half of the last decade.

Think about it: this photo alone shows that thousands of people have moved to a reclaimed brownfield to live and work. The city's tax base will grow by tens of millions of dollars from it, improving our ability to collectively build and invest more. The area is becoming increasingly vibrant, and will really take off over the next year or so when Queen's Quay reopens.

How legal is it to fly a quad-copter over the Gardiner and so close to the Island Airport airspace?

If you don't require an aviation licence or booking a flight plan, presumably it's no different than flying a kite. If it's not illegal, it's legal.

And even if it wasn't, how would you enforce any laws prohibiting it?

We're building a truly special and amazing city, and this photo is a testament to it. Sometimes it's easy to focus on the shortcomings and negatives, but the plain truth is that we've got positives in spades. This kind and pace of development would be the envy of virtually every other city in North America, especially considering the state of the world's economies for half of the last decade.

Think about it: this photo alone shows that thousands of people have moved to a reclaimed brownfield to live and work. The city's tax base will grow by tens of millions of dollars from it, improving our ability to collectively build and invest more. The area is becoming increasingly vibrant, and will really take off over the next year or so when Queen's Quay reopens.

While I don’t want to downplay the positive aspects, I would like to note that downtown Toronto residents have poor access to green spaces compared to residents in downtown Vancouver and downtown Montreal. The parks built by Concord Pacific in downtown Vancouver are much nicer compared to CityPlace (the Coal harbour redevelopment in downtown Vancouver would be another great example). I don’t understand why Toronto does not require developers to create/contribute to green spaces and landscaped areas when building condos. Granted Vancouver has milder weather but even Montreal with much harsher winter than Toronto is greener in general. Vancouver also has more interesting designs when it comes to condos. Again, Toronto has many wonderful things (for example - http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...ers_see_toronto_as_a_success_why_dont_we.html) to celebrate but I think there’s definitely room to improve.

Vancouver has built contemporary city neighbourhoods that look fantastic. This photo thread on Skyscraper Page shows some of what they've built. They seem to invest more in landscaping and cladding for more attractive neighbourhoods.

While I don’t want to downplay the positive aspects, I would like to note that downtown Toronto residents have poor access to green spaces compared to residents in downtown Vancouver and downtown Montreal. The parks built by Concord Pacific in downtown Vancouver are much nicer compared to CityPlace (the Coal harbour redevelopment in downtown Vancouver would be another great example). I don’t understand why Toronto does not require developers to create/contribute to green spaces and landscaped areas when building condos. Granted Vancouver has milder weather but even Montreal with much harsher winter than Toronto is greener in general. Vancouver also has more interesting designs when it comes to condos. Again, Toronto has many wonderful things (for example - http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...ers_see_toronto_as_a_success_why_dont_we.html) to celebrate but I think there’s definitely room to improve.

I agree, and I also wish there were more developments like the proposal at Front and Spadina in which there are covered "outdoor" areas. Far far too much of planning seems focused on the summer, when for 6 months of the year, there is no green, and being outside is unpleasant for most people. I'd like Toronto to actually incorporate winter into our urban fabric rather than pretending it is only something to endure until the next summer comes.

Anyway, OT. I'm a bit shocked at just how prominent Ice has become. It's a little funky looking, but overall, I like it. I just hope that area can develop a bit more warmth and character over time.

This photo in particular really puts the condo boom into perspective imo. I count at least 10 towers visible here that weren't around 10 years ago, in addition to the renovated plaza in front of the CN Tower. On top of that, there's another three towers on the way, at least two of which will be visible in this shot in another 12-18 months, in addition to Backstage which ought to start popping into view in another month or two.

I wholeheartedly agree. Our south of the rail tracks skyline, from Bathurst to Jarvis alone will be better than any other Canadian city once 1 Yonge, 45 Bay and LCBO lands are developed.

How legal is it to fly a quad-copter over the Gardiner and so close to the Island Airport airspace?

re: Safety around airports (major ones at least) my drone will not go above 25m within a certain radius i.e. within 2km. As the radius extends outwards it will not go above 50M after 4km and not above 100m up to 8km then the restriction is lifted. The settings are fixed and can not be changed by me.

This refers to waypoints but it works the same way: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-gs

re: Safety around airports (major ones at least) my drone will not go above 25m within a certain radius i.e. within 2km. As the radius extends outwards it will not go above 50M after 4km and not above 100m up to 8km then the restriction is lifted. The settings are fixed and can not be changed by me.

This refers to waypoints but it works the same way: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-gs

It can't be that hard to mess with the settings. You could probably find someone who will do that for you.

Back