A bit more info from the article- it notes that the buildings to be demolished are "not listed on the Toronto Heritage Register, and they aren’t protected by the Ontario Heritage Act."

A bit more info from the article- it notes that the buildings to be demolished are "not listed on the Toronto Heritage Register, and they aren’t protected by the Ontario Heritage Act."

I will say that in this case, the existing buildings are thoroughly unremarkable - it's the loss of the specific business (Imperial Pub) that people are lamenting. If it were a nail salon instead, nobody would bat an eyelash.

I will say that in this case, the existing buildings are thoroughly unremarkable - it's the loss of the specific business (Imperial Pub) that people are lamenting. If it were a nail salon instead, nobody would bat an eyelash.

The loveable neighbourhood dive bar/old school local watering hole is a dying breed, mate.

How on earth can any building be allowed to propose zero parking? Are we seriously there yet? Did I miss the amazing futuristic transportation methods on my way in??

Toronto has a few buildings with only a very small number of spaces for trades and car-share.

IIRC, the first was Residents at RCMI @ 426 University with 9 spaces for ~300 units.

How on earth can any building be allowed to propose zero parking? Are we seriously there yet? Did I miss the amazing futuristic transportation methods on my way in??

We are indeed not only very much there, but considerably behind the curve. Mandatory parking minimums should've been eliminated for sites in close proximity to transit long ago; thankfully, it seems the City is finally circling around that conclusion through its policy review.

I'm not sure I'd call the subway (3 min walk from this site to Dundas station according to Google) an "amazing futuristic transportation method" given that it has been there for nearly 70 years, but you did clearly miss it on your way in.

Clearly, I've struck a nerve and derailed this thread a little. I take the point with respect to the proximity to a metro system. However, my semi-serious response was simply an exasperation regarding the state of our metro rail. To put it to bed, I am entirely favourable to a city not based around the car (having lived in a few countries with vastly superior transportation networks), yet find Toronto/Ontario/Canada very much lacking in that regard and a gulf between desire and reality in terms of the worth of a car (even in downtown Toronto).

/fin

Clearly, I've struck a nerve and derailed this thread a little. I take the point with respect to the proximity to a metro system. However, my semi-serious response was simply an exasperation regarding the state of our metro rail. To put it to bed, I am entirely favourable to a city not based around the car (having lived in a few countries with vastly superior transportation networks), yet find Toronto/Ontario/Canada very much lacking in that regard and a gulf between desire and reality in terms of the worth of a car (even in downtown Toronto).

/fin

That's something for the buyer/user of this project to worry about - and if they don't, I am not sure why anyone have to either. And good transit in the rest of the city or not, this site - given the proximity to transit - is not one that has to be particularly concerned about accessibility.

AoD

Once this tower gets built, we're likely going to be stuck with it for many generations. Having said that, and given the unique sightlines with Yonge St./Dundas Square, I was hoping that any new development on this spot would inspire something a bit more on the 'iconic' side. Though the tower's colour and cladding shows promise, the overall profile is really uninspiring; essentially it's just a boring rectangle. Too bad they couldn't have taken more of a cue from that narrow little building on the triangular lot across the lane and added some interesting angles. As for that podium, if they don't improve on it, I suppose it could be hidden behind a few well placed giant video screens and then it would fit right in with the rest of 'Times Square north'. All in all, I'd send 'em back to the drawing board on this one.

Last edited:
Wow, this is atrocious. Don't we have a design review panel in this city? What are they doing?

I'd gladly keep the character that's there now over this soulless junk.

If they're going to destroy more of the city's heritage it should be, at the very least, outstanding.

That office building podium is really bothersome. At best...unless they're planning to make that an office, it shouldn't be there at all.

Reactions: syn

Back