The podium is what is instantly recognizable as Douglas Cardinal. I'm into it. The tower itself is pretty unremarkable. The flower crown is, in my opinion, where the design falls apart. To my eyes is looks really awkward. Like something that should would be found atop a "Lotus Flower Tower of Prosperity and Good Fortune" in some third tier Chinese city. Or maybe Dubai.

So glad that something is going to block that PoMo clocktower which has acted as a view-terminus on Bay for way too long.

The flower crown is, in my opinion, where the design falls apart. To my eyes is looks really awkward. Like something that should would be found atop a "Lotus Flower Tower of Prosperity and Good Fortune" in some third tier Chinese city. Or maybe Dubai..

Believe me, there are a lot of us here that would prefer that, than the typical mechanical box found in every 2nd Toronto bldg:eek:

There is credit given to Urban Toronto in the article so I am not sure what the big deal is? its not like it was copy and pasted with no reference.

Like most condo articles on BlogTO, this one has 10 times less text and pictures than the Urban Toronto version. I will always prefer reading from UT compared to that shallow, almost useless blurb on BlogTO.

Believe me, there are a lot of us here that would prefer that, than the typical mechanical box found in every 2nd Toronto bldg:eek:

While Dubai might not have a better skyline, the sum of its parts is shaping up to be a better collection of skyscrapers than Toronto. There are so many great towers that landmarks like the Cayan Tower seem relatively obscure in spite of their superb architecture. With that said, we have some fine towers in the pipeline like the Gehry towers and the One, so we might come out ahead with a denser skyline and a first-rate collection of iconic skyscrapers.

There is credit given to Urban Toronto in the article so I am not sure what the big deal is? its not like it was copy and pasted with no reference.

That hasn't always been the case.

While Dubai might not have a better skyline, the sum of its parts is shaping up to be a better collection of skyscrapers than Toronto. There are so many great towers that landmarks like the Cayan Tower seem relatively obscure in spite of their superb architecture. With that said, we have some fine towers in the pipeline like the Gehry towers and the One, so we might come out ahead with a denser skyline and a first-rate collection of iconic skyscrapers.

I have travlled to Dubai just under a dozen times in the last 20 years. The quality of those super high towers is total garbage compared to what is built in Toronto. If you look up close at so called "iconic" dubai towers like princess, cayan, pentominium etc you will see the quality. Even major Dubai marina towers are terrible. Its common to totally rip out interiors when units are handed over. Worse than Ikea quality imho

The quality of Dubai skyscrapers seems as dubious today as the method of their construction, much of it through a modern form of indentured servitude or near slavery. Whatever you want to call it, there's little for Dubai to feel justifiably proud of on their skyline, and more concern for what they've put up would serve them better.

Totally missed this one - amazing.

re: Dubai - not sure just what kind of exterior cladding system they use, but this is the second instance I believe. There was also a fairly high profile example of the Rem Koolhaas hotel in Beijing having caught fire, plus another example in Grozny.

AoD

Back