The new renderings are updated in the database. The total storey count dropped from 39 storeys to 19 storeys. The overall height of the building went from142.33m to 72.0m. The total unit count went from 53 units to 42 units. Finally, the parking count was reduced from 114 parking to 56.

I complained to my friend in the planning office about this downgrade in design. They said the first renders were essentially fake and that when they asked for schematics, they had none to give the city. Apparently that happens quite often. Just an attention grab that they never planned on building and a waste of time for city staff. The city cannot afford to hire more staff, they are chronically under staffed in planning and can't keep up with all the proposals.
They also said Urban Toronto members need to stop their whining, we know nothing about planning haha

I complained to my friend in the planning office about this downgrade in design. They said the first renders were essentially fake and that when they asked for schematics, they had none to give the city. Apparently that happens quite often. Just an attention grab that they never planned on building and a waste of time for city staff. The city cannot afford to hire more staff, they are chronically under staffed in planning and can't keep up with all the proposals.
They also said Urban Toronto members need to stop their whining, we know nothing about planning haha
Why bother spending money on a schematic design if the City was unwilling to approve the building's massing and density?

I don't debate we aren't planning experts... but if the City's idea of good planning is a thicker building that completely cuts off natural light to its neighbour on McAlpine St vs setting a new height precedent north of Yorkville (which is already coming looking at the projects in store for Summerhill), then you've lost me.

There are planning experts on UrbanToronto, it's just not that everyone is, of course. Meanwhile, while a number of the Planning Department's staff are excellent, there are a number of them who are nothing but number crunchers without an ounce of vision… and they can keep stewing in their own juices.

I mean - that's just false. You don't just give a render to city planning.
Architectural plans were posted when the project first went to the city.
There was a floor plan posted on the news story when the project was proposed https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/12/39-storey-douglas-cardinal-design-condo-100-davenport

18979-63981.png

The city cannot afford to hire more staff, they are chronically under staffed in planning and can't keep up with all the proposals.

Seems like something we should be funding adequately and if there isn't enough money our ostensibly responsible and reasonable Mayor should be a grown up and raise property taxes appropriately in order to pay for proper planning for our city's future. We're doing nobody any favours — including the ever-increasingly equity-rich property owners who are saving on tax — by underfunding city planning and not resourcing them to the level needed. We are all worse off in the future if our city isn't planned well as we see already with how much our city has been impacted. Holding property taxes at inflation is negligence and harming our city in so many ways, but at a basic level we need enough resourcing in planning to keep up with the City's growth. If our city's government can't provide this then they're really hurting our future.

Event Information: 100 Davenport Road - Virtual Community Consultation Meeting

Date and time:Wednesday, February 23, 2022 6:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:2 hours
Description:
The City has received an application to amend the Zoning By-law to permit a 19-storey mixed-use building with 42 dwelling units and commercial space on the ground floor.

Please visit the City's Application Information Centre to learn more about the application at www.toronto.ca/100DavenportRd

Paul Godfrey has registered to lobby on behalf of something here.............not sure if it's the current plan.

The subject of the lobbying is listed as:

Consideration of a suitable planning project. 100 Davenport Road, Toronto, Ontario

In this context Paul is listed as President of :

Arenjay Developments Ltd.

No other beneficiaries are shown.....

Looking at the floor plan above, I've never seen two toilets facing each other like that in the master ensuite. That would be rather awkward and just plain weird.

Looking at the floor plan above, I've never seen two toilets facing each other like that in the master ensuite. That would be rather awkward and just plain weird.

(I think in the floor plan above, it's likely one toilet and one bidet, although you can easily get a combined toilet/bidet…)

Back