Had to see this cladding on a bright sunny day. She's a looker! I wish they used such intensely colored cladding on something like CIBC Square....

IMG_20200305_122347-01.jpeg

IMG_20200305_122455-01.jpeg

IMG_20200305_122531-01.jpeg

IMG_20200305_122706-01.jpeg

I think the dark glass & indentations make it a slightly more striking building than others but agreed that it's too pedestrian for the waterfront.

I picture the waterfront filled with new and interesting buildings with different materials & shapes that make them seem they're on display for anyone on the islands but it's too late for that, we just have to accept what we receive.

another boring glass box on the waterfront...

It's a sad day when there are Mississauga office park buildings more interesting than a waterfront, postcard-facing building in Downtown Toronto.

Box or not, this one gets a pass from me because they went for *extraordinarily* expensive glass (no horizontal top mullion or even shadow box - it's a single piece). As @Full Metal Junkie indicates above, the glazing saves it.

Totally, I just think the quality of the curtain wall system is something the average person who doesn’t work in the building industry or who isn’t active on this forum is unlikely to notice. To most this will be another glass box by the water. If you asked a passerby to articulate the difference between window and curtain wall, or asked them what a shadow box or a spandrel panel was, I think they’d look at you like you were from another planet. This is something I think a lot of developers take advantage of; if people aren’t design literate, we can serve them the cheapest possible material and they won’t know the difference.

Totally, I just think the quality of the curtain wall system is something the average person who doesn’t work in the building industry or who isn’t active on this forum is unlikely to notice. To most this will be another glass box by the water. If you asked a passerby to articulate the difference between window and curtain wall, or asked them what a shadow box or a spandrel panel was, I think they’d look at you like you were from another planet. This is something I think a lot of developers take advantage of; if people aren’t design literate, we can serve them the cheapest possible material and they won’t know the difference.
…whereas here, Menkes is going the extra mile and will get little credit for it. Except from some of us.

You can like an end product and still be critical of the maker. For every 100QQ there is a The Eglinton, for every Harbour Plaza a Fabrick, and for every Fleur there’s a 365 Church.

I think there’s nothing wrong with this building but I also don’t think there is anything amazing about it either.

Back