Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New application in the AIC for this one, for both zoning and SPA.

1651226099933.png

This site, is presumably (just) a TD Branch I will show below; but of note, the addresses listed here are both 1048 and 1040 Islington, the latter of which was developed as a new townhouse complex that only wrapped construction in the last few years.

The TD site at 1048 seems amply large for the proposal described above.

Aerial Pic:

1651226325964.png

Site Size: ~3000M2/32,000ft2

Streetview:

1651226465775.png

Hopefully with some street-facing retail for once. The city should be looking to encourage Islington between Queensway and Bloor to develop into an urban, walkable retail street. So far it's an abject failure. That godawful townhouse complex next door was initially proposed as a bunch of midrises.

Docs are up. Architect is IBI:

And it shows! LOL

I think this may be my new standard line w/them.

From the Planning Rationale Report, also by IBI (and it also shows) :
1651799432822.png

1651799457498.png

From the Arch Plans: Boy will @Towered be unhappy......... No Retail!

1651799740502.png

Materials:

1651799838481.png

Last edited:
IBI just got into the planning game too. Give them time to evolve in the space, 3 years ago they didn’t really do development applications in their planning department.

Hopefully with some street-facing retail for once. The city should be looking to encourage Islington between Queensway and Bloor to develop into an urban, walkable retail street. So far it's an abject failure. That godawful townhouse complex next door was initially proposed as a bunch of midrises.
No street-facing retail, sadly. That stretch of Islington really needs to be made pedestrian-friendly, given that it's mostly residential with many schools on, or just off the street. Its major drawback is that it's used as a thoroughfare for heavy industrial traffic between the QEW and the 401.

I would definitely agree that more retail stores are needed, and it would be great if this building included retail at ground level. How can we get our opinions heard?

Okay, so IBI Group is the planning department/ designer. The owners of the properties are Collier and Ros-Bay; both of which haven't been involved in residential developments it seems? Ros-Bay has done commercial developments only. so this will be interesting!

Back