A new thread has been created for the southern third of this lot, currently called 40-60 St Lawrence, where condo towers are now proposed on the southern third of this land. This thread will remain for the (eventual but seemingly stalled) Sobey's redevelopment fronting onto The Queensway, which now seems to have gone Longo's acfording to the latest rendering. We can only hope this development eventually starts by including at least some mid-rise buildings and does not end up simply as a single storey suburban plaza, which would be truly wasteful (although I'm sure they'd consider it redevelopable yet again in the future). Anyway, there's this…

37813-165681.jpeg

…and one more image in the updated database file, linked at the top of this page.

Longos is part of the same corporate family, Empire.

While no official policy has been announced, it is my understanding that the Sobeys brand in Toronto is likely to be phased out in favour of Longos and Farm Boy, if the same demographic is being targeted.

While some locations w/more price sensitive customers might see Freshco instead.

Longos is part of the same corporate family, Empire.

While no official policy has been announced, it is my understanding that the Sobeys brand in Toronto is likely to be phased out in favour of Longos and Farm Boy, if the same demographic is being targeted.

While some locations w/more price sensitive customers might see Freshco instead.
Wow that's thoroughly disappointing that Empire would want to phase out the Sobeys brand in Toronto, though i'm not surprised seeing as store closures and rebrandings have been done at an increasing level over the past couple of years. I'd much rather see more Sobeys/Sobeys Urban Fresh stores compared to more Farm Boys.

Sobeys stores in my opinion generally have a good (albeit less diverse) mix of products at a lower price point compared to Farm Boy and their astronomically crazy high prices on many food groups. Longos has just gotten stale (product wise) ever since Empire bought a controlling stake in that company.

Wow that's thoroughly disappointing that Empire would want to phase out the Sobeys brand in Toronto, though i'm not surprised seeing as store closures and rebrandings have been done at an increasing level over the past couple of years. I'd much rather see more Sobeys/Sobeys Urban Fresh stores compared to more Farm Boys.

Sobeys stores in my opinion generally have a good (albeit less diverse) mix of products at a lower price point compared to Farm Boy and their astronomically crazy high prices on many food groups. Longos has just gotten stale (product wise) ever since Empire bought a controlling stake in that company.

So far as I can recall, there are only 5 full-line Sobeys in Toronto.

Leaside, Todmorden (Broadview), Danforth (Main) and the two on the Queensway.

Of these, we can see one destined to become Longos; Danforth and Todmorden will both redeveloped, banner TBD, that leaves only one Queensway outlet and Leaside.

Leaside is a signature store, already has a Longo's down the street too; ....but there is no Farm Boy there....

The others are all 'Urban Fresh'.

Of those you've only got 4 left, given that 2 have been converted to Farm Boy already.

(Balliol, Roncy/High Park, Rosebury Square and Spadina/City Place)

Balliol will be redeveloped, banner TBD

Haven't yet heard anything in regards to re-bannering the rest.

So far as I can recall, there are only 5 full-line Sobeys in Toronto.

Leaside, Todmorden (Broadview), Danforth (Main) and the two on the Queensway.

Of these, we can see one destined to become Longos; Danforth and Todmorden will both redeveloped, banner TBD, that leaves only one Queensway outlet and Leaside.

Leaside is a signature store, already has a Longo's down the street too; ....but there is no Farm Boy there....

The others are all 'Urban Fresh'.

Of those you've only got 4 left, given that 2 have been converted to Farm Boy already.

(Balliol, Roncy/High Park, Rosebury Square and Spadina/City Place)

Balliol will be redeveloped, banner TBD

Haven't yet heard anything in regards to re-bannering the rest.
Rosebury Square Sobeys (Marlee and Ridelle) is kitty-corner from where I live. It is formerly an IGA. This Sobeys is located on the ground floor of an apartment building located across the street from a holdout on Ridelle Avenue. It is served by the 109 Ranee bus.

At least it provides an alternative given that Fortinos (at Lawrence Allen Centre) and No Frills (on Eglinton between Prospect Cemetery and Dufferin) are quite a long walk and Zitos on Marlee at Stayner is the next nearest grocery store, albeit one that specializes in Italian groceries.

The site plan is odd here as the retail development isn't using the whole site - the southern chunk of the property is not used at all. I wonder what they are thinking of doing there.

edit: nevermind. It's this:

Back