PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
1103 DUFFERIN ST
Ward 18 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Site Plan Approval for a 3-storey apartment building: 8 dwelling units, 580.23 sq. m. res. gross floor area

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 17 268378 STE 18 SA Nov 28, 2017 Under Review

Rendering:
upload_2017-12-16_9-44-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-16_9-44-51.png
    upload_2017-12-16_9-44-51.png
    900.8 KB · Views: 2,522
Thoughtless, sure. Ugly? Tough to say this is an ugly design when you compare it majority of the properties along this stretch.
I do believe pre-set brick would fit better here.

I would love to see more development along this strip of Dufferin. this area needs rejuvenation.

The side streets in the Bloor and Dufferin area are beyond gentrified as it is.

Dufferin itself, however, will never be nice because our poor city design puts all of the west end traffic on one street and it's a nightmare living directly on Dufferin with all the heavy vehicles running through 24 hours a day.

Dufferin needs to be widened in some way, shape or form along this stretch. The way it is right now just doesnt work: it's unsafe for pedestrians as the sidewalks are just too narrow and utility poles cuts down the amount of usable space even further. Add to the fact that the traffic lanes themselves are narrow to the point that one can feel the gust of wind that each vehicle causes as they whizz by you. Not to mention the amount of spray one gets each time a vehicle hits this pothole laden street.

As far as developments go, this is definitely the kind of thing Dufferin needs. However it doesnt help this dreary stretch when grey panels are the color of choice for the entire project. There is nothing visually appealing with this one.

Dufferin needs to be widened in some way, shape or form along this stretch.

I couldn't agree more, but based on the minimal setbacks and the street parking, I don't see a way to widen.
If alternate parking locations were provided to eliminate street parking, then some progress could be made. Not realistic though.

You can design modern and yet still acknowledge the architectural context—a concept that this design has not considered. What an ugly, thoughtless, sore thumb.

Considering the two buildings next door I think they are the ones that need to go.

Construction hasn't begun yet, but 1103 Dufferin St gets brought up in this Spacing article as an example of gentle intensification in "Yellowbelt" areas of the city:

Back