HousingNowTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
The proposed development includes a three-storey mass timber residential building - as St. Clares Multifaith Housing expansion of new-build affordable-housing units at their existing location - http://www.stclares.ca/property/1120-ossington/

The expansion ground floor fronts Ossington Ave with 7 self-contained residential units, amenity and office space, plus second and third floors consist of an additional 18 self-contained residential units. Total of 25 x new affordable-housing units being added to their

The proposed development includes a slab on grade construction and does not include a basement or any underground components.

Only needs variances - not an OPA, project is already at SPA stage in AIC - http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=9PeH6Om8PKf/AfVzjSwvSA==

1658090770168.jpeg

Last edited:
CMHC Rapid Housing funding announcement this week included $4.5-MILLION from the Federal government for this site.

Since it is R-Hauz & Smart Density working on this - this built form might become a repeatable model on other sites (eg. Church Parking-Lots, etc).

What's multi-faith housing? The building I live in, like probably all multi-storey buildings in Toronto, houses people of many faiths but it's not multi-faith housing? Or is it? I don't get it.

What's multi-faith housing? The building I live in, like probably all multi-storey buildings in Toronto, houses people of many faiths but it's not multi-faith housing? Or is it? I don't get it.
I don't think "multi-faith" refers to the tenants - it refers to the sites they build on and manage... which come from different denominations, etc.

Looks reasonable to me. It adds a fair amount of density on a currently underutilized parking type space along Ossington.

The name was created in the 1990s and has never been changed. There is no religious aspect to this organization at this point.

I like this a lot. There are some some smart moves to keep the budget under control, e.g., putting the stairs and circulation outside the building envelope, no basement, simple boxy form. But they aren't cheaping out on the cladding: it'll be GFRC in some lovely and striking colours. And the fins will be perforated corten.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 09.03.54.png

I like this a lot. There are some some smart moves to keep the budget under control, e.g., putting the stairs and circulation outside the building envelope, no basement, simple boxy form.
This is the way to build a structure on land already owned, that allows it to support affordable housing. There are many places in the city that it could be done, particularly with the advances in pre-fab and timber construction.

Full disclosure: I'm involved with this organization.

Back