No thanks.

Destroying its own character is something this city specializes in.

A little closer look at the building:

1196YongeHeroNW1280K.jpg

I like the randomized cutouts in the plan for terraces, some of which are double height.

1196YongeStrS1280K.jpg

The north side wall is mostly ready to be built up against, not sure how some openings facing north would work with zero-lot-line adjacent development.

I would like to see the five-bay Victorian on Yonge saved/incorporated in some way. It's a solidly handsome building and shouldn't be obliterated.

Event Information: Community Consultation Meeting - 1196-1210 Yonge Street and 2-8 Birch Avenue

Date and time:Tuesday, February 22, 2022 6:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
City Planning invites you to attend a Community Consultation Meeting for 1196-1210 Yonge Street and 2-8 Birch Avenue to discuss the Zoning By-law Amendment and Rental Housing Demolition applications seeking to allow for the construction of a 15-storey (55 metre excluding mechanical penthouse) mixed-use building containing 67 dwelling units (including 8 rental replacement units) and 201 square metres of grade-related retail space.

One of the weird things about this building is that the blank wall on the North face isn't exactly designed to work well with anything that could be built next to it, due to the wrap around glass sections. So it's likely we'd be stuck with most, if not all of that blank wall forever. Unless what ever gets built to the north someday is shaped really really strangely.

This one was appealed to the OLT in late February of this year.

An Appeals Report to the next meeting of TEYCC recommends staff attend the OLT in opposition to this proposal.

From the above:

1694096197452.png

1694096226429.png

1694096268513.png

Comments: Planning is right-on with this. No indication of any objection whatever to height. This is really all (mostly) about preserving the heritage, with some other modest tweaks at issue.

The heritage should and will be preserved here, the applicant will just have to get on with doing the right thing once its exhausted all its other options.

I've known something was up here for a bit.............but discussing it needed to wait for something to be public............so here we are.......

A report to next week's Heritage Preservation Board reveals we will be getting something much different here than what was seen above:

The facades will be saved.

There are quite a few other changes.........but those aren't public yet, they'll have to wait for the settlement offer at next months Council meeting.

But there are some hints in the above report:

1711115125843.png

1711115171445.png

Hope there isn't a dramatic redesign to the upper floors... I like this KPMB building with its buff tones that seem to echo the neighbouring clock tower and LCBO.

I think this can marry well to the rebuilt heritage facades as well. 👍

"A report to next week's Heritage Preservation Board reveals we will be getting something much different here than what was seen above:" - what indicates it will be so different than the original?

In the original proposal all the heritage was being demolished. That is no longer the case.

Back