Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This ambitious application is another very tall one, on an apartment building tear down site on Isabella, on the south side, roughly mid-block between Jarvis and Sherbourne, just east of Huntley.

The site as is: (per streetview)

1688046151210.png

The App:

1688046237126.png

From the above:

1688046365013.png

1688046416140.png

1688046480470.png

1688046530079.png

Site Plan:

1688046573348.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1688046614161.png

1688046679066.png

Elevator Ratio: 0.77 per 100 units

Parking Ratio: 0.04

Comments: The height is a bold ask, but not out of line with other approved proposals on Isabella nearby; though due south of the Selby proposal with which the City was not entirely happy. The row of SFH lowrise to the immediate south may prove an interesting challenge.

The architecture is nice. Elevator ratio is a bit low, parking ratio excellent.

If there's an obvious knock here...........its a Useless Park alert with a rinky-dink piece of grass off to one side that any right-thinking person would call landscaping, which the proponent would like the City to care for in perpetuity on their behalf.

The Park dedication should be refused outright. The proponent should be asked to engage in discussions with the the Huntley and Alterra proposals to deliver the park dedication for all three developments on a single site, at a useful size.

Agreed. Nice looking tower, but the park is a joke, although the mid-block connection to Gloucester is a welcome addition.

Edit: Gloucester changed name to Earl Place east of Jarvis. Also, I can see the existing building from my unit, and it seems there may not be a connection to Earl Place after all, as there's a bunch of heritage (I'm guessing pre-WW1) rowhouses on the Earl Place end of the walk-through.

Last edited:
Well considering the fact that this is KingSett we know what we see is certainly not what we're going to get here since they very likely arent going to build....

It's getting to the point that unless I see some kind of significant neighbourhood contribution to St.James Town, I just get irritated with each successsive proposal I see in this area. I mean how dense is too dense without having any kind of supporting community addition.

My ex used to live in the existing building. Wasn't great. His place was clearly a 1bd where they had split the living room in two and turned half of it into a second bedroom to get more rent. That said, while this generally looks nice, this area desperately needs more community amenities, and I don't trust Kingsett not to sell it to some cheap developer who ends up giving us 69 stories of G+C. So I have some reservations here for sure.

Would this be the tallest downtown building east of the Yonge Corridor, and north of Dundas?

My ex used to live in the existing building. Wasn't great. His place was clearly a 1bd where they had split the living room in two and turned half of it into a second bedroom to get more rent. That said, while this generally looks nice, this area desperately needs more community amenities, and I don't trust Kingsett not to sell it to some cheap developer who ends up giving us 69 stories of G+C. So I have some reservations here for sure.
Bolded for emphasis

A 69-storey tall condo is always nice.

It scares the heck out of me to see projects like this being proposed. Tearing down a perfectly fine 9 story apartment building is not something that should be allowed or celebrated. No doubt many of the residents in this building are long term tenants paying affordable rents thanks to rent control. I live not very far away in a similar size apartment of the same vintage. It terrifies me to think that a similar proposal could be made for my building. I have lived in my apartment for about 25 years and thanks to rent controls my current rent is about $600 less than what the building is charging new tenants.

Back