OMB decision will be made available in late March.

Here is a small breakdown of the info from the hearing... (sorry about the length)

At the very beginning of the hearing, we learned that the Traffic Planner for the city had resolved the traffic and parking issues with the developer by accepting a plan where all residential traffic would enter through the Dorval laneway at the rear west of the site and exit onto Dundas West with a right-turn only. The applicant also agreed to increase the underground parking. This meant that the city and the applicant would not present the traffic plan or express any issues about it at the hearing; however, during community impact statements, local residents and businesses were able to present concerns about the impacts of the traffic plan and the foreseeable difficulties with implementing it. The hearing lasted five days, with area residents and business, as participants and not parties, concerns presented for two hours.

The applicant's case
The applicant presented evidence from two witnesses: Robert Glover, an urban designer and urban planner who reviewed and defended the plans prepared for the project; and Peter Walker, a land-use planner who prepared the developer's 2007 Avenue Segment Study.

Robert Glover/Urban design
Glover argued that the proposal was a good fit for the site, because there was a pattern of more intense development around "transit nodes" across the city. He also argued that the presence of the Crossways, although it had some undesirable features, meant that a tall building on the opposite corner at 1540 would be within a suitable context.

Peter Walker/Land use planning
Walker argued that there were not significant differences between the findings in his Avenue Segment Study and the Avenue Study prepared for the city by Anne McIlroy, except that his study recommended a more intense and higher built form on the 1540 site. He felt that the height, built form and density of the proposal was appropriate, given the unique, "distinguishing features" of the site (close to transit, on a corner, at the intersection of two Avenues, opposite the Crossways, on a prominent site, separated from the Neighbourhood to the north by the subway line, at a future "Mobility Hub" of the Regional Transportation Plan).

Furthermore, the applicant's witnesses argued that the Avenue Study should not apply to the site because the original application was made in 2007, before the formal Avenue Study began (in March 2008).

The city's case
The city presented four witnesses: Andrea Old, the urban designer for this area; Anne McIlroy, the consultant hired to prepare the Avenue Study; Corwin Cambray, the senior planner who drafted the new Avenue Bylaw, based on the Avenue Study; and Christopher Dunn, the Community Planner who dealt with the site application (successor to Kevin Edwards).

Andrea Old/Urban design
Andrea Old presented graphic evidence supporting her position that Dundas West marks a definitive shift in the built form environment at Bloor and Dundas. East of Dundas, the lot sizes are large, because they are part of the historic industrial rail corridor. A building like the Crossways (although it would not be built today) is able to provide significant stepbacks for its tall towers (about 65 metres) and achieve a density of just under 5 times coverage, as it is built on a very large lot. West of Dundas, the lot sizes are small and the lot pattern is fine-grained, a typical "main street" frontage, especially on block from Dundas to Indian Road. The lot pattern breaks down somewhat toward Keele and that is where the majority of Opportunity sites are located, not near 1540. Even where buildings are taller (e.g., 2333 at the southwest corner) the tower elements are stepped back significantly.
Her review of TTC stations on the Bloor line west of Bathurst also showed that there is no foundation for the claim that transit nodes have taller buildings and higher density than elsewhere on Bloor Street.
She presented evidence that the density proposed was found only in downtwn, uptown and city centre areas of the city.

Other evidence demonstrated effects of failing to step the building back from the street, and inadequate planning for stepping down to neighbouring properties to the west along Bloor.

Anne McIlroy/Avenue Study
Anne McIlroy described the process followed to prepare the Avenue Study, including the broad public participation. She also described in general the findings of the study.

Corwin Cambray/City planning policy
Corwin Cambray explained the process of turning the Avenue Study report into a bylaw. Some of the points he covered were: how the bylaw dealt with opportunity sites; the setting of minimum heights as well as maximums, so that intensification is built in to the bylaw; the way corner sites are given additional heights and densities, creating "bookends" at Bloor/Keele and Bloor/Dundas; the requirement for appropriate transitions (the stepping down to lower built forms) especially to the west; and the identification of community services and facilities that should be provided or upgraded to support intensification.

The applicant's lawyer, Adam Brown, challenged Corwin on whether the new bylaw was realistic (would any of these opportunity sites ever be developed in accordance with the bylaw). He especially highlighted the fact that the approved 5 and 11 storey buildings on the used car lot north of the Crossways had never been built, as well as the unlikely event that the PetroCanada gas station would ever be closed so that there could be a 15 to 10 storey building on the combined 7-11/PetroCan site. Likewise the site at 1540 (with the additional properties).
During Corwin Cambray's testimony, there was some informative back-and-forth between the OMB adjudicator, the applicant's lawyer and the city's lawyer about how the Provincial Policy Statements (PPS), the provincial Growth Plan and the Official Plan relate to one another. Adam Brown's perspective was that as long as an application complied with the PPS and the Growth Plan (both at the provincial level), then the Official Plan should not refuse an application. The city, of course, emphasized that the Official Plan is the implementing tool for the PPS and the Growth Plan, so an application has to comply with the Official Plan; it's not enough just to comply with the provincial policies. As Corwin remarked, if that were the case, municipalities would not need a planning department; they could just issue building permits! Corwin provided evidence from the Growth Secretariat (Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure) that the province had reviewed the Official Plan and that it did comply with the provincial policies for intensification.

Christopher Dunn/City community planner
Chris Dunn presented evidence about the site from a Community Planner's perspective. In his opinion, the site did not have unique "distinguishing features" as set out by Peter Walker. (This view had been substantiated by Corwin Cambray's review of the Avenue Segment Study, which had noted its concerns to the applicant about their study in May 2008). He confirmed the view of Corwin Cambray that the features identified in the Avenue Segment Study could be associated with almost any site in the Bloor-Dundas area, especially since almost any site could fall within a 500-metre radius of a TTC station. With respect to proximity to a Mobility Hub, Bloor-Dundas could be compared with Bloor-Jane (also a Mobility Hub) where a segment study prepared by Robert Glover had recommended mid-rise built forms. During Chris Dunn's testimony, the city's estimate of $850,000 in section 37 funds was argued forcefully. The funds would be spent on parkland improvements, intersection improvements, provision of community health and daycare facilities, etc.

Closing arguments

Applicant's case
Adam Brown summed up the case for the applicant:
• The city accepted the application as "complete" in November 2007 and did not provide specific feedback on the Avenue Segment Study until May 2008. The design for the podium never came under formal critique.. There were no objections to the building height for the usual reasons of shadowing, of privacy/overlooks, or wind, and no objection from the adjoining property owner. The traffic and site access issues were settled. Thus height is the only issue.
• The city's Avenue Study is flawed in that the Opportunity Sites identified are not likely to be developed in the foreseeable future and the sites at Dundas/Bloor and Keele/Bloor are unlikely to be consolidated. The primary purpose of the Avenue Study was simply to impose a lower height on the 1540 site. (This assertion was challenged by the city as unsupported by any evidence provided by the applicant.)
• Under the law, there are existing precedents for considering an application under the planning requirements that were in force at the time of the application, rather than under planning requirements passed at a later date. Also, the process must be fair and the applicant must be clearly informed of the decision of the municipality regarding the application and the reasons for the decision.
• The application meets all the requirements of the Provincial Policy Statements and the Growth Plan. Senior governments (the province) should take precedence over junior governments (the city). The Bloor-Dundas Mobility Hub is forecast in the Regional Transportation Plan to be the eighth busiest hub in the GTA with five transit lines interconnecting. Intensification should be allowed on this site.
• The amount of the section 37 request ($850,000) cannot be justified or supported as the city has not included specific guidelines in the Official Plan.

City's case
Stephen Bradley summed up the case for the city:
• The analysis by the city's urban designer showed very different lot patterns east and west of Dundas. This difference was reflected throughout the Avenue Study and incorporated in the new bylaw. The proposed height and massing would be detrimental to the public realm at Bloor and Dundas. Under the Official Plan, the Avenues are meant to be developed as "main street" environments, as opposed to the Downtown and the Centres, which have different functions and therefore different built form.
• The Crossways is put forward as a precedent for the proposed height. Since it was built in the mid-1970s, the city has had many opportunities to amend its zoning bylaws to treat it as a precedent but has never done so and should not do so now.. If the application for 1540 is approved, it would set a precedent which would be much easier to replicate than the Crossways. This is because the Crossways is on a very large site (density less than 5 times coverage) whereas the Giraffe is on a much smaller site (density more than 16 times coverage). As smaller lots prevail at Bloor-Dundas, the 1540 site would be a precedent for these much smaller sites.
• The Avenue Study should have significant weight. For budget reasons, the city can only complete two studies per year and these require significant investment of money, staff time and local input from residents, property owners and businesses. The Avenue should not be lightly put aside unless there are compelling reasons. In the city's view, the reasons (distinguishing circumstances) put forward by the applicant are not compelling. The passage of time does not make a bad proposal good.
• The Official Plan was in place in 2007 when the application was filed and the OP sets out the relationship between an Avenue Study and an Avenue Segment Study. The applicant had the opportunity to take part in the process and knew the direction of the report. The applicant chose to appeal a short time before the new bylaw came into force. Now that the Avenue Study is complete, it should be used to test the earlier segment study.
• Section 37 benefits can be set out in the context of an Avenue Study, which is done in accordance with the Official Plan. The amount has been based on a similar negotiated settlement.

Thanks so much for that detailed overview catcher. There seems to be a case to be made on both sides of the issue - I disagree with the City's lawyers who state that there is no evidence to show increased density around subway stops, but do agree with their argument that the lot sizes shift significantly west of Dundas.

A tough case, but as I would like to see Giraffe built...

Last edited:
I am really getting sick and tired of city reps treating Toronto like it is the size of Hamilton. As said in the proposal, 5 transit lines intersect at this junction. If that doesn't warrant intensification, I don't know what does.

And with regards to there being no intensification around subway stops on the Bloor line west of Bathurst... I guess they didn't check out Bloor and Islington. The immediate area around Kipling station is home to 4, soon to be 5, high rise towers but I do understand that the context there is different. Even the Old Mill station area is home to a fair amount of density.

High access to transit = high density. I really see no other way for the city to grow in an intelligent, sustainable manner. I've said this before and I'll say it until this tower goes ahead. How can we allow high rises to go up along the Gardiner, 401 and even all along the Lakeshore and not allow it at Bloor and Dundas. Those neighbourhoods have acces to 1, maybe 2 transit lines for the most part and Giraffe will literally have direct access to 5. What exactly are we encouraging in this city?

Building density for the sake of density isn't the answer either. This report pretty much confirmed my earlier concerns. The density and not necessarily the height is far too much for the neighbourhood regardless of the proximity of 5 transit lines.

Building density for the sake of density isn't the answer either. This report pretty much confirmed my earlier concerns. The density and not necessarily the height is far too much for the neighbourhood regardless of the proximity of 5 transit lines.

Hate to be a jerk and point this out but you absolutely contradicted yourself there. Building density for the sake of density would be putting a highrise in the middle of a field. Building density at the junction of 5 transit lines is building density where it is warranted.
In my eyes, density doesn't belong in a field and 5 transit lines don't belong in a field either. Both belong at the corner of Bloor and Dundas. The 5 lines are already there, the density should be there next.

Last edited:
I'm probably wasting my time here with respects to the commentary about highrises in a field . The world isn't as black 'n white as you perceive it. Again, the transit lines do warrant higher density but, not to the degree as proposed by this development. The floor area ratio is equal to the downtown area. I'm also a firm believer in reducing commuter mileage opposed to most transit policy that focuses on reducing commuting time. This community doesn't have nearly enough employment or the draw to develop more employment. Giraffe by it lonesome isn't really an issue. It's the precedent it sets for future redevelopment that's at issue.

I don't mind having downtown-level residential density around all rapid transit nodes. Dundas West is only a few stops from downtown anyway. I noticed that Montreal has some nice density around its far flung subway stops, and it really adds to the commercial and social vibrancy of the area. Also, we will be adding owned rather then rental units to the area, potentially bringing more eyes on the street of people looking after their investment. I hope this bookend project gets built. It's also a good looking tower. If we excluded single family homeowners immediately in the area of the site, how vocal would the opposition to this be?

I'm probably wasting my time here with respects to the commentary about highrises in a field . The world isn't as black 'n white as you perceive it. Again, the transit lines do warrant higher density but, not to the degree as proposed by this development. The floor area ratio is equal to the downtown area. I'm also a firm believer in reducing commuter mileage opposed to most transit policy that focuses on reducing commuting time. This community doesn't have nearly enough employment or the draw to develop more employment. Giraffe by it lonesome isn't really an issue. It's the precedent it sets for future redevelopment that's at issue.

You're missing my point. You said that there's no use in increasing density simply for the sake of increasing density. I'm arguing that your theory doesn't apply here. There are few places outside the core other that warrant increased density as much as Bloor and Dundas. A condo at a transit hub makes more sense than a lot of things that have already been approved in this city. They've solved the traffic problem by moving the entrance to the parking garage off Dundas and making it a right turn only exit. You may be right in your point that there isn't enough employment in the immediate area to employ everyone but the same can be said for essentially every suburb. Unfortunately commuting is a part of everyday life for a lot of people in the GTA, but if you put a condo like this here you can at least ensure that Giraffe's commuters have excellent access to transit. A subway and streetcar go directly into the downtown core from this intersection and you simply cannot ignore that. When the link to the airport is complete, the GO station at Bloor will also be a direct link to the many people the airport employs.
According to the above post, Bloor/Dundas is the city's 8th biggest transit hub. Maximizing transit use should be high on everyone's priorities.
It seems like every time I visit this forum I think of more and more reasons this project makes total sense.

Density doesn't really mean much. Here, it's just a number with no practical application or consequence other than "precedence." This is a shame, because even if a rejection of Giraffe follows the letter of planning laws, it is not in keeping with the actual intent of these laws, which is to ensure some measure of sanity and stability while common goals or compromises are reached and the city improved in some way. The reality is that going from X density to Y density on one single site will have a trivial impact on the neighbourhood. Many trivials added together may not be trivial, but unless the larger neighbourhood was already well above X density, or if anyone was actually worried that block after block of detached houses off Bloor or 2 storey structures on Bloor would be individually razed and built over with towers, then it's not really an issue.

Yes, other nearby properties have small sites, but it's not like individual 2-storey retail + apartment buildings are going to be redeveloped with 20-30 storey towers that are only about 15 feet wide...which is what would need to happen for 16 FAR/FSI to be achieved on some of these sites. This isn't Tokyo and Giraffe doesn't turn it into Tokyo. It depends somewhat on how much control the city has over whether or not these individual sites can be assembled...inappropriate consolidation, now *that* a concrete reason to reject. This is definitely not a neighbourhood where additional sites should be acquired, the density transferred, and the other sites turned over to linear parkettes to diffuse everything. Those neighbourhoods don't work.

It is a bit silly how Crossways, two tall towers, can't be used for precedence, yet Giraffe could be rejected because of worries about precedence. Part of the problem is that there is no precedence concerning which precedents take precedence...the OMB gets the final say, not the city. Density? Height? Number of units and residents? Use? Aesthetics? If all of the above, nothing gets built, and if none of the above, it's a chaotic free for all.

The city's density concerns here are pure BS in addition to selfish NIMBYism on the part of local residents. The neighbourhood has vast potential and it is starting to come alive. To the west you have High Park and Bloor West Village. To the north you have the Junction, which is booming. To the south you have Roncy. To the east...well, it's still grimy past the underpass but even there development is taking place. There are still many great "opportunity lots" in the area, which will no doubt get filled, probably a lot more quickly once Giraffe gets built. Then there is the Loblaws land just to the south, where you could easily fit a dozen or so towers.

And what about the transit? There's the subway, which is ideally positioned roughly halfway between the western end and Bloor-Yonge. There's the busy streetcar down Roncy to King. There's the Junction bus, which could be upgraded to streetcar as well at some point (which has been mentioned - it's not just a fantasy of mine). There's the GO station, which in a few short years will see hundreds of trains rumbling through, plus the Union-Pearson express, which will have one of its few stops here. And nobody has even mentioned that the western leg of the DRL will terminate here, and possibly even continue northwest.

Given all of that, Bloor and Dundas may not be one of the city's identified growth nodes in the Official Plan, but it damn well should be, and I tell you that it's going to become that whether or not a piece of paper says it should. I would argue that this area should have downtown type density, and the neighbourhood needs to change to accomodate it.

I forgot to mention that the ward Giraffe is in lost over 4000 people between 2001 and 2006. Basing planning decisions on density calculations might be slightly relevant if the local population was exploding and roads and schools and so on couldn't possibly accommodate another soul, but when major growth - say, 10 more Giraffes - could materialize at a transit nexus and not stop a population decline...

The glove fits, so the OMB must acquit. It's a shame that the entire Avenues concept gets reduced to "we must build only 8 storey buildings," when it's really about much more than that.

That's a good point, the "we must build only 8 storey buildings" one.

I've always kind of envisioned a plan for the newer areas of Toronto (Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough) and the areas of the older part of the city that fit the same description. The description I am talking about is the one where single family homes fill in the areas between major streets. Instead of having single family homes, and the backyard fences of single family homes (among other low-rise buildings such as strip plazas) lining so many 4 and 6 lane streets such as Islington, Kipling, Victoria Park, Steeles and so many other major streets in so many areas, we should have midrise towers in the 5-10 storey range (with or without ground floor retail or otherwise, but of course I would be in favour of any sort of mixed use). At major intersections, the minimum height for residential buildings should be in neighbourhood of 10-20 storeys, with some exceptions, across the city. Unfortunately it is often a gas station that occupies a major intersection in North York, Scarborough and even Etobicoke and I think that is simply wrong. I'm not saying that every major street in the city should become a canyon of 6th Avenue proportions, I just think that a street with 4 or more lanes should warrant more height than a minor 2 lane residential subdivision street does.

My reasoning for this of course, is public transit. At major intersections where 2 or more bus or streetcar routes intersect, we should have more people living there. It's fairly simple (in theory) in my eyes, and hopefully some people agree with me.

Last edited:
The City's position on this does seem to be mind-bogglingly stupid, especially the claim that transit nodes do not attract more density. Sure you can look at only a portion of the system that suits you to make your point, but look at the whole system, and that claim is laughable: it is as if the planner were told "put a poison pill in your argument that the OMB cannot possibly accept". The planners and City will look like they are on the side of the NIMBYs, and keep some votes for the local Councillor, and the will OMB be forced to play its stereotypical bad guy role by declaring the argument specious... which it most certainly is. Wait a week, and City Planners will be arguing for a tall, dense development at some other subway station, and they'll cite all the development that subway stations have attracted in the past. I hope the OMB nails them on this one. Ridiculous.

The City's position on this is disturbing because it strengthens the position of the OMB in guiding development. There must be someone in the area who holds a lot of sway to get the City to take the position it has taken.

Back