The plan would see the building soar to 27 storeys with 327 units

Soaring to 27 storeys! How terrible! Crossways is 29 storeys just across the street and has been for ages. Also as she recognized this is right on top of a major transit hub. There's lots to criticize about this building and the process that brought it to us, but presenting 27 storeys in such a hyperbolic way and repeating the criticism of it being 27 storeys later as if that's self-evidently bad is really showing how much anti-height is motivating here. Why is 27 storey's bad? It's what we need and what should be built on top of a transit hub (or more).

Last edited:
So more than a decade was wasted while the corner building has rotted, because the initially rejected-for-being-too-tall 27 storey building has been replaced with an approved...27 storey building (but much uglier).

😆 at Toronto planning.
As somebody who lives in the area, it has been a blight on the neighbourhood for 12 years. Prior to the initial property acquisition, it was a busy retail and services spot with a bar on Bloor and retail/services in strip mall off Dundas.

NIMBY'ists and Councillor hiding behind a ridiculous Avenue Study opposed Giraffe and they are the same people opposing today's plans. As you said, we end up with something bland instead of the novelty of Giraffe.

Soaring to 27 storeys! How terrible! Crossways is 29 storeys just across the street and has been for ages. Also as she recognized this is right on top of a major transit hub. There's lots to criticize about this building and the process that brought it to us, but presenting 27 storeys in such a hyperbolic way and repeating the criticism of it being 27 storeys later as if that's self-evidently bad is really showing how much anti-height is motivating here. Why is 27 storey's bad? It's what we need and what should be built on top of a transit hub (or more).

She also ignored the 10 + 23 storey towers of the LNX Condos currently under construction on the east side of Dundas, north of Crossways.

What are the chances we get an improvement in the built form at this point in the approval cycle?

What lag time should we expect until they break ground?

What are the chances we get an improvement in the built form at this point in the approval cycle?

What lag time should we expect until they break ground?
I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to see any substantial changes at this stage.

Now that parking minimums requirement has been eliminated, construction of this could move much faster.

"In a February 4 decision, OLT member Mario Russo allowed an appeal, in part, by Timbertrin (Dundas/Bloor) Inc. against the City of Toronto’s failure to make a decision on its rezoning application for 1540-1550 Bloor Street West.

The settlement proposal consists of a 27-storey mixed-use building with sculpted built form including reduced podium and streetwall heights and increased tower stepbacks, 608 m2 of at-grade retail space and 355 dwelling units including 12 replacement rental units to compensate for the loss of rental housing within the existing structures on the site—which would be demolished to accommodate the new development, as well as the addition of 14 new affordable rental units.

The settlement offer was accepted by city council, and subsequently, the city appeared at the settlement in hearing in support of the revised proposal."

1644551468966.png

"In a February 4 decision, OLT member Mario Russo allowed an appeal, in part, by Timbertrin (Dundas/Bloor) Inc. against the City of Toronto’s failure to make a decision on its rezoning application for 1540-1550 Bloor Street West.

The settlement proposal consists of a 27-storey mixed-use building with sculpted built form including reduced podium and streetwall heights and increased tower stepbacks, 608 m2 of at-grade retail space and 355 dwelling units including 12 replacement rental units to compensate for the loss of rental housing within the existing structures on the site—which would be demolished to accommodate the new development, as well as the addition of 14 new affordable rental units.

The settlement offer was accepted by city council, and subsequently, the city appeared at the settlement in hearing in support of the revised proposal."

View attachment 379640
I just wish it wasn’t all glass and matched the aesthetic of what we are getting up in the Junction.

The City made its bed here (along with the local councillor local community opposition) and now we have to sleep in it and live with this building going forward.

In what world did people think that this site on top of one of the city's most significant transit hubs, on a major intersection, and across the street from an already existing big apartment building wouldn't end up being something of this scale? People have been in denial in this city for so long and we need leadership that can plan for the future to achieve better results instead of resisting it and fighting against it.

The City made its bed here (along with the local councillor local community opposition) and now we have to sleep in it and live with this building going forward.

In what world did people think that this site on top of one of the city's most significant transit hubs, on a major intersection, and across the street from an already existing big apartment building wouldn't end up being something of this scale? People have been in denial in this city for so long and we need leadership that can plan for the future to achieve better results instead of resisting it and fighting against it.
Seriously Bonkers, but the City continues to "make its bed" in the same way with the Danforth Avenue Planning Study (Segment 2 - Don Valley to Coxwell Avenue) - City-Initiated Official Plan Amendment and Urban Design Guidelines that go to TEYCC next week as a FINAL report.

LINK - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.TE31.12

It's virtually unchanged from all of the 7 & 8 storey maximums - with 4-5 storeys mid-block that they were talking about last year, and all the set-back and urban design guidelines also remain.

The whole DANFORTH SASP from DVP to Coxwell is so disconnected from reality - it is like an open invitation for Doug Ford to enact every "over-rule city planning policy" suggestion in the HOUSING TASK FORCE report.

Clinging on to the hope that they'll refine the tower facade through SPA.
Please tell me this could still be a thing! I need some hope I won’t have to stare at a glass wall for the rest of my days!

All a designer needs do is stand on the corner and look north. Inspiration abounds just north of the Shoppers!

Please tell me this could still be a thing! I need some hope I won’t have to stare at a glass wall for the rest of my days!

All a designer needs do is stand on the corner and look north. Inspiration abounds just north of the Shoppers!
I understand that SPA is used chiefly for changes in detail like colours or materials but can be more extensive. You can hope but better to have realistic expectations around the current design.

A new rendering is updated in the database. There are several changes in the database in regards to the overall project information. The total unit decreased from 374 units to 353 units. The total building height increased from 86.35m to 91.65m. The total parking count was reduced from 97 parking spaces to 93 parking. spaces. Finally, the total building storey count remains the same at 27 storeys.

The rendering was taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning Submission:

PLN - Architectural Plans - FEB 7  2022-2.jpg

Back