^You do realize this building represents the tip of the iceberg for the area? Giraffe is like the first animal to be unleashed from the zoo.... The 18 Yonge of the Dundas/Bloor area. (18 Yonge came first, then Infinity, Pinacle, MLS, Ice, more.............see what I mean?)

The immediate corner is crappy, but I can see the day when the entire 'hood is trendy condo central, perhaps with a posh shopping centre to boot.

Giraffe the condo is orange and white and tall and weird, just like a real giraffe. The best marketing name in Toronto real estate history, imho!

I looked at the design at giraffeliving website and I must say it looks like an IKEA furniture warehouse and so does the lobby. The design sure won't fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. I believe it will be a long time before the entire building sells.

I think you will be surprised,remember its a 8 miniute subway ride to Bloor/Yonge or 10 minute ride on the streetcar to Sunnyside Beach.

looks like a duck

if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it must be a giraffe. The rooms look small on the website and very basic. If I was to to invest in a new condo I would look at the other condos in the hood like the Stinson property on roncey and or the Howard Park church site on Sunnyside. Even though they are pricey and there are still lots left (just look on Mls )they are much more appealing and more likely to meet the condo reserve fund needed by provincial law. The giraffe will have a hard time meeting this condition in my past experience with condos.

Nobody would ever describe Bloor/Dundas as beautiful, but I have always kind of liked the vibe around Dundas West station, it has a certain bustle. It is a significant transit hub, with the subway plus King and College streetcars departing/arriving here.

There are a lot of other options in Toronto so it will be interesting to see if this flies but if it is successful it would be a nice addition to the area.

I would hate to see a Toronto treasure like Joe Mercury's die for nothing.

I'll be surprised if The Giraffe doesn't sell like hotcakes, assuming the units are priced appropriately.

if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it must be a giraffe.

If this is a commentary on Venturi and Scott-Brown's original theory then kudos on an astute observation. Your other two examples, however, betray the fact that you prefer the decorated shed. Embrace the duck Maggie, embrace it.

Your other two examples, however, betray the fact that you prefer the decorated shed.

Neither of which are as magically transit-convenient (or, potentially, affordable) as the Giraffe.

Though another overlooked comparison point is that there's a pair of Pug(ly) bottom-raters in the environs: BeBloor (eccch) and Glen Lake (red brick and glum, perhaps, but quite urbane in the end)

From Gord Perks

Gord Perks sent this email this morning:

Good morning,

You are receiving this email because you have asked to be put on my mailing list for either the 1540 Bloor St West development, the 1638-1650 Bloor St West development, or the Bloor Visioning Sessions.

I understand from speaking with some of you that a sales office for 1540 Bloor Street West has been erected at the former Joe Mercury's site.

It's my understanding that a sales office is a completely legal use that only needs permits (it does not need sign off from planning staff or approvals from City Council). Interestingly enough, after speaking with planning staff I have come to find out that in various areas of the City, developers have erected sales offices prior to an application being submitted.

Here is the latest update on the 1540 development: my office hasn't heard from the developer's team in quite some time - the last meeting we had with them was our 1540 Working Group session meeting (comprised of selected residents, business owners and stakeholders in the area). At this meeting the group asked among other things that they do a revised Traffic Impact Study and take a more detailed look at the access/egress issue for the site.

It's my understanding that the City's Planning department received the revised study this week, and that the City's Transportation dept. hasn't had a chance to go through it yet. City Planning and I will be discussing the study with the working group once it has been reviewed. There has been no further discussion on the built form, but Planning has indicated that they should expect some sort of revised proposal in the next few months. Once that revision comes in, then we can expect a report and the application will go off to Community Council. Of course, I will be sending out that information as soon as it becomes available.

There has also been no OMB appeal to date.

Should you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my office. I have also copied Community Planner Kevin Edwards, who can be reached at kedward@toronto.ca or by phone at 416-392-1306.

Thank you,

Gord

Gord Perks
City Councillor
Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park

Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
2nd Floor, Suite A14
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N2
416-392-7919
councillor_perks@toronto.ca

www.gordperks.ca

We must change how we live, or the climate will change it for us.

Though another overlooked comparison point is that there's a pair of Pug(ly) bottom-raters in the environs: BeBloor (eccch) and Glen Lake (red brick and glum, perhaps, but quite urbane in the end)

Glenlake is urbane, but also disappointing with the parking garage entrance facing Dundas, connected with a driveway. For this, the building is not aligned with Dundas. If they had more land, they'd probably build it towers in the park style :rolleyes:.

You know what it is.

2789031914_562c448410.jpg

2789030574_5db3f89bd9.jpg

2788175993_07f81dffe3.jpg

2789028178_466e4c723d.jpg

2789026920_7e417fae0f.jpg

2789025662_8b62b73411.jpg

2789024428_9291d16416.jpg

2788169751_bfb422c329.jpg

Sizes on Flickr

Well, there's a street a few blocks north called "Jerome", FWIW

friendly_giant.jpg

I guess, then, we ought to call the Crossways "Rusty"

I have this fantasy of recladding the Crossways complex in aluminum or even zinc--sort of like a grim building in Glasgow they reclad about 6 years ago. It turned into this gorgeous looking gem.

The mall itself could be filled with cafes and bars--entertainment district west.

The building on the SW corner though: I often wonder how people can live in a building that has balconies looking like they're about to break apart...?

Back