I've always found it interesting that Toronto-Dominion Bank owns the naming rights to TD Garden in Boston where the Bruins and Celtics play.
Thankfully, Scotia Bank owns the arena where our respective teams play...so there's no conflict of interests there. 😸

Indeed, my US friends were amazed when I told them that the "T" stands for Toronto. Probably wisely, they do not publicise their Canadian roots!
Yes, it was fun shocking my friend from New Jersey with that fact. All the banks moved to using their initials as their official branding around 2000 which I heard was to open up the possibility of becoming more international.

Yes, it was fun shocking my friend from New Jersey with that fact. All the banks moved to using their initials as their official branding around 2000 which I heard was to open up the possibility of becoming more international.

Scotiabank sitting in the corner alone

The Canadian banks can't really expand in Canada since the market is neatly divided among them (all they can do is make marginal gains at other banks' expense, and the other banks fight back hard) so international growth is really the only way they can spend their money to grow. TD has done that in the eastern coastal areas, BMO around Chicago/midwest, Scotiabank in the Caribbean/Latin America.

That’s not really expanding an international presence though. It’s really just to provide services to students coming to study in Canada.

Mar 28, 2024

m1DhzzD.jpg

24C9C1A5-BFEF-4694-9999-ED94C6C6546D_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s not really expanding an international presence though. It’s really just to provide services to students coming to study in Canada.
Ok I see that. But it could also be the first step in a much longer process based on our country’s demographic realities.

It’s really just an extension of the international student GICs they offer. Everyone coming to study here has to post something like $10,000 (I think it increased this year) and they mostly do it by buying a GIC. This is just to hook them easier into that.

Back