Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Lobbyist Registry, we learn that this property may be in play.

This is a current/former TDSB property that was to be declared surplus way back when.

First mentioned on UT, here:

It's at the north-east corner of Grangeway and Ellesmere, and abuts the current SRT yard.

Aerial Pic:

1678111880020.png

Size: The site is ~1.8ha/4.5 acres

Of note, the site is less than 300M from the proposed subway station for the SSE, and as such will likely qualify as MTSA.

In this streetview pic, which does show its current use; note the School Board name:

1678112071201.png

A more fulsome view from Grangeway:

1678112130015.png

Comments:

Something I am curious about; some years back the City and the TDSB jointly purchased the property at 705 Progress, just a stone's throw away, for a new school and City park.

I'm a bit lost on why that was done from the TDSB's perspective when they had an existing building right here.

Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Drilling rigs were here all last summer for soil sampling. The building itself is in serious need of repairs from what I know.

Tridel and Community Living Toronto (CLTO) will partner on a major redevelopment which proposes five residential towers at CLTO’s 1710-1712 Ellesmere Rd. property in Toronto's Scarborough area. It is also known locally as the Lawson property.

It is designed to “deliver an inclusive community that sets the standard for organizations and home builders to partner to meet housing demands for all people,” Tridel and CLTO state in the announcement Monday morning.

The Lawson proposal seeks to build mixed-use housing, including affordable rental, independent living, supported living and market condominium suites. The development proposes five towers ranging from 28 to 52 storeys, with approximately 2,200 residential suites including 280 proposed rental suites.

People with intellectual disabilities, supported by CLTO, will have an opportunity to live in this inclusive community.

“Developing vibrant neighbourhoods where people with intellectual disabilities are included from the beginning, is more important than ever,” said Brad Saunders, CEO of Community Living Toronto, in the announcement.

“The announcement today of our partnership is an example of how Community Living Toronto continues to create unique, supportive spaces for people with an intellectual disability and their families.”

In addition to the mixture of residential suites (condominium and rental), retail and commercial uses, the proposal includes a new public park, privately owned public spaces, new program and community uses, an enhanced public realm, energy efficient and sustainability features, accessibility features and support for pedestrian and active transportation.

It looks like at least 3 out of 5 towers will become skyscrapers from this proposal lol!

Wow!!! Not what I was expecting at all

This is the massing render from Renx piece linked by @AlbertC above:

1679391429533.png

Ellesmere would be the street on the right hand side of picture, so this is a view looking east at the site.

The app here is in..........There are some affordable housing units, that's good...........

But as to the rest......uh...... KirKor.

Heights: 53s, 49s, 49s, 45s and 28s

The App:

1688198796617.png

From the above:

@HousingNowTO will wish to make note of the affordable unit commitment

1688198977054.png

1688199022385.png

1688199093018.png

1688198927553.png

Phasing:

1688199607649.png

1688199662287.png

Parking Ratio: 0.63

Block Context Plan:

1688199536639.png

Above: You can see this peculiar looking 'corridor' cutting on a SW to NE angle off the south end of this site, arguably impacting the way everything is massed here, and not for the better.

It's the old Canadian Northern Railway Corridor, a central portion of which is today the route of Line 2 from Victoria Park Station to Kennedy (above ground to Warden and below beyond)

For reasons beyond comprehension, the northern leg of the corridor Midland to Ellesmere was sold off in bits and pieces (note the structures on the south side of Ellesmere), on the north side of Ellesmere this is an access road and the TTC's McCowan Yard for the SRT further north. A small portion of the corridor remains in tact northwards to Progress, after which it was again sold off piecemeal until Sheppard.

An Aerial of the above:

1688200066832.png

Comments:

No elevator ratio, right now, I'll leave that to @ProjectEnd if he stops by today, it's 4:30am and I don't feel like looking at each tower right now.

Yay for the affordable housing, but OMG what a .............

KirKor, here to prove to you it's possible to be both busy and bland at the same time.

Way too much parking with a 0.6 Parking Ratio within a PMTSA. Nope. I didn't see any mention off hand of Bikeshare or Carsharing, but didn't get to the transportation files.

Approx. ~84 units of “Affordable Rental” out of 2,392 total units is an approximate ~3.5% of units deal.

No details on the YEARS of Affordable-Rent guarantees - or the Rent-Band, so will assume 100% of AMR unless otherwise explained in the AIC filings.

Ideally, we should be seeing all new large condo developments including provisions for convenient bikeshare docks and e-stations.

The way these towers relate to the ground is disappointing.

Nice density near the future Scarborough Centre subway stop, but I think I threw up in my mouth looking at the designs…..disgusting
Too much parking.
Hopefully a grocery store can make its way into the base of one of these, FreshCo will soon be lost to condos leaving only Wal-Mart inside of STC as the only nearby “grocery” store 🤦🏼‍♂️.

I notice the road running thru it ends at the McCowan Yard property line, wonder if the city wants to build a road right thru McCowan Yard (closing Nov 2023, no demolition timetable yet) and the adjacent property to connect to Progress.

Nice density near the future Scarborough Centre subway stop, but I think I threw up in my mouth looking at the designs…..disgusting
Too much parking.
Hopefully a grocery store can make its way into the base of one of these, FreshCo will soon be lost to condos leaving only Wal-Mart inside of STC as the only nearby “grocery” store 🤦🏼‍♂️.

I notice the road running thru it ends at the McCowan Yard property line, wonder if the city wants to build a road right thru McCowan Yard (closing Nov 2023, no demolition timetable yet) and the adjacent property to connect to Progress.

Empire (Freshco's parent) is keeping a store at the current site. The intent is for it Freshco to remain open continuously until the new store is ready. However, it's unclear if it will remain Freshco. (Empire is also the parent of Longos, Farm Boy and Sobeys).

That said, I agree STC needs an additional grocer in the near term, and perhaps 3 more once build-out is done.

Also, are you counting the Loblaws Super Centre on the north side of Progress?

Empire (Freshco's parent) is keeping a store at the current site. The intent is for it Freshco to remain open continuously until the new store is ready. However, it's unclear if it will remain Freshco. (Empire is also the parent of Longos, Farm Boy and Sobeys).

That said, I agree STC needs an additional grocer in the near term, and perhaps 3 more once build-out is done.

Also, are you counting the Loblaws Super Centre on the north side of Progress?
I just figured RCSS would be gone by the time this is built given the Master Plan for the STC lands, my mistake.

I wasn’t aware Freshco would stay open during construction over there, good to know thanks. I suspect a Sobeys or Farm Boy will replace it.

I just figured RCSS would be gone by the time this is built given the Master Plan for the STC lands, my mistake.

I wasn’t aware Freshco would stay open during construction over there, good to know thanks. I suspect a Sobeys or Farm Boy will replace it.

I'm sure the RCSS will come down for development at some point, but I don't see Loblaws conceding the market, I imagine they'll get a new store in a podium before the existing store comes down.

I don't how that RCSS is performing, but I'm inclined to think we might see T&T here in its stead.

Reactions: JBR

Back