Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
In seeing a community engagment notice for a different site for new Modular (Supportive) housing; I noted this address is also a proposed building for phase 2.

No details yet; but it will presumably be similar in scale to others.

Photo of what I take to the be the site in question:

1613853420632.png

This is part of the Cummer Lodge campus.

Willowdale resident Geraldine Campbell and her neighbours have a place in their hearts for the elderly residents of Cummer Lodge — and Campbell, through work with her church in Scarborough, has first-hand empathy for the plight of the homeless.

So, when she got word through her local councillor that the City of Toronto is considering building a 60-unit modular housing project to house Toronto's homeless, on what is nearly the front lawn of Cummer Lodge, she was ecstatic.

"My initial reaction was 'thank God,' — to be happy that we at least now as a city seem to be tackling this problem," said Campbell.

Campbell and her neighbours have made a point of supporting residents and staff at the city-owned Cummer Lodge long-term care home — in February, they wrote 500 Valentine’s Day cards for residents and staff.

And she said that her volunteer work at St. Timothy’s Anglican Church in Scarborough has made her “painfully aware of homelessness.”

The project at 175 Cummer Ave. is one of two that make up Phase 2 of Toronto's Modular Housing Initiative (the other is at Trenton and Cedarvale Avenues in East York), which will be coming to the March 10 meeting of Toronto's Planning and Housing Committee.

If approved, the city would start community meetings for each site in March — and would see the new housing in move — in condition by the end of 2021.

--------
Filion is meeting with the Willowdale Interfaith Coalition — a multi-faith group of religious leaders in the community — and is hopeful the group will buy in.

Reverend Sean Huh, who leads the Faith Church, a Protestant congregation on Olive Avenue, and who is a member of the coalition, said he at least will be putting his support behind the proposal.

“In terms of easing concern and worry and tension and that kind of thing — I would definitely, in our own church, be open to talking about it and maybe even teach in church,” he said. “I don’t think for members of our church it’ll be so shocking — it will just be another opportunity to see that we may live in our 3,000-square-foot homes in Toronto or just outside — we may have all the luxuries we could want, but there are those who are struggling. Whether it’s their fault or not, how can we help them?”

Renderings:

1614810350503.png

1614810379284.png

Site Plan Appoval application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Site Plan application for a 3-storey apartment building with 64 bachelor units (supportive housing) and staff offices, kitchen, dining, lounge, and laundry rooms at 175 Cummer Avenue. This is part of Phase 2 of the City of Toronto's Modular Housing Initiative.
------------------------------------
Montgomery Sisam Architects: 3 storeys

Site plan:

1615015662356.png

Renderings:

1615015235868.png

1615015458509.png

1615015267997.png

1615015398061.png

1615015409468.png

The Anti-Modular-Housing group(s) in WILLOWDALE are getting their act together... looks to be run by (or affiliated with) the “Silverview Homeowners Association

https://voicesofwillowdale.ca/

Here’s a new anti-housing pitch I haven’t heard before (from the “voices of willowdale” site):

Humans do not have exclusive right over the Earth!– Diane Trelenberg

Except for me. I already live here — also Diane Trelenberg

The Anti-Modular-Housing group(s) in WILLOWDALE are get some ink in the STAR Local paper (North York Mirror)...

From the article:

Residents who are members of the group suggested the location was ill-suited to the needs of people experiencing homelessness — arguing that its location, 1.5 kilometres from the Finch subway station requiring two TTC buses, was still inadequately served by transit and affordable, walkable grocery shopping.

Their selfless concern for someone without even a roof over their head is so touching. I am sure they are experts in what the needs of the homeless are (apparently, it isn't homes ASAP). /s

AoD

The argument that "giving homeless people a home" is somehow "failing the homeless" is WILD.
That's not an argument, as it's more a form of indoctrination by folks who don't want the marginalized in their neighbourhood. Also see: Doublespeak. And /sigh

Oh these seem like great people:

They've even got a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjKlhrIAI9xpe0rLLKJU6Ug/videos

From that change.org site:

City of Toronto made a surprise decision that if implemented will permanently eliminate parklands which have existed since before Toronto was settled.

Parklands that have existed before Toronto was settled?? Kind of like the entire neighbourhood where the buildings the residents of Willowdale is currently living in perhaps? I don't see anyone weeping over "the parkland" that their house/condo or whatever sat on and eliminated.

AoD

Back