Why's that? Portland Commons is only ~8m shorter across the street. Minto Westside is ~10m shorter on the same block.

The taller sections of both buildings being cited are on the main streets - the Portland Commons tallest component is on Front Street, while the tallest section of Minto Westside is at the intersection of Bathurst and Front Streets. Both the Portland Commons and Minto Westside buildings step down from their tallest sections. And neither building is directly across and to the south of Victoria Memorial Square. It was the neighbourhood context and existing height restrictions on the interior streets within the Wellington Place area that caused Brad Lamb's proposal for the Wellington House project at 422 - 424 Wellington West to be rejected at the LPAT (as it was at the time).

So between shadowing concerns with respect to Victoria Memorial Square and the existing Wellington Place area height restrictions, it would be quite unlikely for the 18 Portland building to be built as proposed.

I completely agree that this is, at best, a long shot, @AHK. My question, however, is 'should it be'? I'd argue, no. But to each their own.
I’m biased because I live in the neighbourhood but part of why I like it is that’s it’s not covered with 40 floor buildings. It’s nice to see the sky.

Preliminary Report on this one to the Feb 16th meeting of TEYCC:

From the Report:

1643989870386.png

1643989890684.png

Reactions: AHK
Had a look-see based on @AlbertC 's post above.

There have been no changes to the proposal.

The new submission is an OPA, but it's the same application as the ZBA: (from the Cover Letter)

1658752784358.png

* Note that the ZBA has been appealed to the OLT due to lack of a timely decision by Council.

SPA has been submitted for this one, no material changes that I can discern, but some additional renders which I will share below.

1665054107924.png

* note on height; above you see a reference to 22 storeys; Arch. Plans show 23 floor as MPH, no units/amenities.

1665054237155.png

1665054271181.png

1665054311865.png

1665054341940.png

1665054373122.png

1665054405684.png

New updates in the database. The total storey count changed from 23 storey to 22 storey. Total height changed from 78.15m to 79.75m. Finally, total parking space count reduced from 54 parking to 52 parking.

The new stats are changing from 22 storey to 18 storey. Finally, the height changed from 79.75m to 60m.

Paclo...

Do we know what happened to the SPA here? The old link doesn't work and I can't seem to dig it up in the AIC.

Edit to add: I can find the Site Plan through the ZBA link at the beginning of the thread. So I will post that here for ease later.

I note with interest that the Site Plan (submitted in 2022) has not yet received a Notice of Complete Application.

No one is in a hurry here.

Last edited:
Paclo...

Do we know what happened to the SPA here? The old link doesn't work and I can't seem to dig it up in the AIC.

Edit to add: I can find the Site Plan through the ZBA link at the beginning of the thread. So I will post that here for ease later.

I note with interest that the Site Plan (submitted in 2022) has not yet received a Notice of Complete Application.

No one is in a hurry here.
Who caaaaaaaaares? Was anyone really concerned about the offering of "Density Group Limited's" provision of 'new housing' here?

Back