This is now 71 & 46-storeys, front page piece up here by @Anthony Teles :

HD rendering:
A000 - Drawings Cover Sheet-3.jpg

Site Plan:
A001 - Statistics and Context Plan-1.jpg

Good to that big empty space on the south side of Burnhamthorpe fill in. To the east of this is the Southlands. Anyone know what's planned for the lot immediately west of this?

If this goes as presented in this current proposal as well as the Southlands going as they are currently proposed, along with the exchange district, its gonna make for a particularly blocky section of MCC

Building on Mississauga's car cesspool legacy.
I honestly have no problem with condos with car spots. First of all I don’t think car spots should be exclusive to houses. That only encourages people to want homes more than they already do. Secondly many condos in downtown areas have parking which is there for the off time a person decided to drive. But more often than not they walk or transit.

The parking seems like it will be an albatross for condos in the future. With greater urbanism and autonomous vehicles, if people have cars they will likely rarely use them, and many people won't bother owning if they are easy and relatively inexpensive to ridehail.

The parking seems like it will be an albatross for condos in the future. With greater urbanism and autonomous vehicles, if people have cars they will likely rarely use them, and many people won't bother owning if they are easy and relatively inexpensive to ridehail.
I lived in multiple buildings downtown where people used their parking to store their Ferraris for random drives. This isn’t a condo built on a highway where the purchaser is only concerned about driving. You want people to chose to live in urban areas you have to accept they may want access to things that everyone else does.

Building on Mississauga's car cesspool legacy.
Have you actually lived in Mississauga and tried to do without a car ? I lived downtown for 20 years and I mostly didn’t have a car or rarely used one and I was happy because all the stuff and places I needed on a daily basis were within walking distance and a car was needed only for going out of town. Doing the same in Mississauga is impossible. I once had to leave my car at the dealership for a couple of weeks and thought I could try to see how we could do without it. My grocery store trip that usually takes 40 minutes took us almost 4 hours! Try to raise a family in Mississauga without a car and we will see how you feel about it.

You can’t force people to abandon their cars unless fast and reliable transit exists and with reasonable coverage.

Forcing condos to be sold with less parking is the easy way to get what you want done. Less cars on the road. The other option is to do everything you can to try and make sure people think about walking as much as possible. We need grocery stores under these condos the same size as what’s at maple leaf square. We need schools in podiums like we see in some Toronto developments. We need a Mississauga parks and rec centre built downtown which targets all the condos around it. What I fear is getting rid of all the parking and not adding the necessary services in walking distance.

Have you actually lived in Mississauga and tried to do without a car ? I lived downtown for 20 years and I mostly didn’t have a car or rarely used one and I was happy because all the stuff and places I needed on a daily basis were within walking distance and a car was needed only for going out of town. Doing the same in Mississauga is impossible. I once had to leave my car at the dealership for a couple of weeks and thought I could try to see how we could do without it. My grocery store trip that usually takes 40 minutes took us almost 4 hours! Try to raise a family in Mississauga without a car and we will see how you feel about it.

You can’t force people to abandon their cars unless fast and reliable transit exists and with reasonable coverage.
That's the whole point of what i'm alluding to; Mississauga's development has been based on entirely on a car dependent culture. For instance, the city is still perfectly ok with building tower in park styled developments, where retail space is virtually an afterthought.

The city has been making limited effort in making other modes of transport more attractive (ie: Bike Lanes are an afterthought, and while improved transit is still taking a back seat to autos, etc.).

The whole planning system in that city isnt encouraging anyone to use transit or other means of transport.

That's the whole point of what i'm alluding to; Mississauga's development has been based on entirely on a car dependent culture. For instance, the city is still perfectly ok with building tower in park styled developments, where retail space is virtually an afterthought.

The city has been making limited effort in making other modes of transport more attractive (ie: Bike Lanes are an afterthought, and while improved transit is still taking a back seat to autos, etc.).

The whole planning system in that city isnt encouraging anyone to use transit or other means of transport.
I don’t know what transit options there really will ever be in Mississauga. The streets are so far apart you’re always so far from a stop unless your starting point is on a line and your exit point. It can encourage people to live in the city centre which this does. That’s good and there should be sufficient shopping I agree. But if we can’t figure out how to get the Milton line to two way all day service then it’s pretty much a lost cause and the best we can hope for is dense neighbourhoods which eventually encourage businesses and services which in effect encourages more pedestrians. I don’t think reducing the parking will magically force the city to build transit. Unless you think the people will be so mad they will take their pitch forks to city hall in a good old fashion witch hunt.

It’s just my observation of course but during the pandemic people in Mississauga started walking more. We have to compare pedestrian numbers not versus Toronto but pre pandemic Mississauga numbers. The retail on confederation seems to be doing well. I haven’t noticed much or really any store closing signs. Which makes me think business is at the very least good enough to stay open. I take these types of things as wins. Especially when I lived at eglinton and Allen and how much the retail suffered because of the magnet that was Yorkdale. These podiums have successful businesses despite square one being across the street. And I’m confident most of their shoppers didn’t come by car.

Last edited:

Back