This PERMIT seems to have slipped in under the radar!

1702232006027.png

A technical resubmission was made here in January for those interested. Looks like they are very intent on moving to construction here shortly.

I find the proposal very cold and institutional. It looks like it belongs in a Vaughan office park, not on Toronto's waterfront.
Well I mean, that's pretty much what we've been striving for on Toronto's waterfront. Sterile and mediocre is the name of game for the majority of our waterfront unfortunately, and had it not been for Waterfront Toronto our entire waterfront would be the biggest embarrassment of any megacity in the world.

Right now i'd say we're probably in the Top 5 worst.

I find the proposal very cold and institutional. It looks like it belongs in a Vaughan office park, not on Toronto's waterfront.

I am beginning to think architects-Alliance (aA) is trying to kill street life in Toronto. They can do high quality (but relatively boring) towers, but their street-level work is atrocious, and somehow getting worse.

St. Lawrence Condos at 158 Front (also aA) is probably the worst new-build retail environment I've seen in Toronto. Glass to the sidewalk, no differentiation between units, exposed mechanical that is visible from the street. There isn't even a way for the retailers to put signage on the exterior of the building--they have to hang it behind the glass. It's a sterile nightmare.

This proposal suffers from all the same deficiencies, but doesn't even have the high ceiling heights at 158 Front.

I am not terribly familiar with planning requirements in this area, but maybe its time the City made some aspects of its retail design manual mandatory.

Back