Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
File NumberFC-24-004
Application TypeFormal Consultation
Address166-186 Ferguson Ave N and 203 Robert St
File Year2024
DescriptionTo redevelop the parking site with a high rise mixed use development, with 2252 residential dwelling units and community centre
Proposed Total Residential Units2,252

This is the large parking lot across from the Hospital along Barton.

File NumberFC-24-004
Application TypeFormal Consultation
Address166-186 Ferguson Ave N and 203 Robert St
File Year2024
DescriptionTo redevelop the parking site with a high rise mixed use development, with 2252 residential dwelling units and community centre
Proposed Total Residential Units2,252

This is the large parking lot across from the Hospital along Barton.
This is pretty big, no? 2252 units is more than one tower. More than one 30-storey Hamilton special at that. Imo it’s a good spot to start intensifying, I just didn’t expect it to see anything this soon.

Call me skeptical, would be great to see this much love given to that area in the Hammer, unless there is some mighty deep pocket actual developer behind this, then I suspect just a marketing ploy to flip land.

I have no idea why they suggest the "Phase 5" fronting Barton to be set back from the street with surface parking instead of commercial along Barton. This stretch should be constant commercial and residential wall.
1000003227.png

it's a preliminary scheme prepared by a broker trying to sell the property. All they care about are approximate floor area yields. I wouldn't read into it too much.

lol in no way is that stretch even remotely walkable NOW - you'd have to substantially rebuild quite a lot of it instead of just having this tiny island of commercial - where are these people going to walk FROM? I mean look down that street - look FAAAAR down it - where is all the commercial? There is none (those 2 buildings on the corner aside).

That and you just mention the word "barton" and people run away screaming lol.. If I could sum up the rot of hamilton in one word it would indeed be "barton". Well, that or cannon.

lol in no way is that stretch even remotely walkable NOW - you'd have to substantially rebuild quite a lot of it instead of just having this tiny island of commercial - where are these people going to walk FROM? I mean look down that street - look FAAAAR down it - where is all the commercial? There is none (those 2 buildings on the corner aside).

That and you just mention the word "barton" and people run away screaming lol.. If I could sum up the rot of hamilton in one word it would indeed be "barton". Well, that or cannon.

This immediate vicinity is effectively the one part of Barton without a good streetwall, but luckily the rest has plenty to reference. Now, bringing that retail experience into this fairly active area will hopefully start bringing some serious attention to the design of Barton itself.

I won’t act like Barton is where it could be, but it’s become substantially more active than when I was young. Retail is coming in, even if as fast food and weed stores. More importantly though, there are still plenty of vacant storefronts. This shows the corridor is very responsive to retail demand- something which created a downward spiral before, but has very quickly turned around in recent years to Barton’s benefit. Every incremental increase in population might result in one or two small businesses because unit sizes and rents are probably low. Meltwich near Centre Mall comes to mind- it’s local/street-oriented, not a drive-thru.

It certainly feels like no one is paying attention to it because, as you say, “…Barton”, but a lot of people around my age (Gen Z/Milennials) don’t seem to give Barton’s connotations much stock- it’s mostly our parents generations. I think the housing crunch is playing a part, but people are realizing they could do alot worse than a walkable prewar main street that’s down on its luck. It’s closer to a King or Queen in Toronto than King or Main, imo. In any case, the developers are noticing.

We're all just kinda waiting - it's another" lister block" example - where when its bad it represents the rot very starkly, but to turn it around would be one of the greatest success stories and thus one of the biggest things to brag about.

I mean look at Ottawa st - I used to dread going there as a kid as my mom would drag me from one textile place to another - but now it just feels more.. "alive" like I am sure it must have in its early days. Kenilworth admittedly has a long way to go to get there, and neither are locke st, but it shows what can be done when you really put your mind to it.

For many my age and older, Bartons buildings aren't the problem - although seeing abandoned places with like 5 different layers of crap hammered onto what was once a respectable looking storefront is always a bit wincey.. it's the people, and the quality of the people. One only has to go to say the metro at center mall vs the metro on rosedale to feel that difference - growing up we called them "Hamiltonians" as I grew up in Stoney Creek by the lake before the amalgamation and there was a sense that they were dirty, poor, not quite bright, welfare state type people. Unwashed masses, sometimes literally. Once that stigma leaves Barton will get a much better reputation - but it's a stain on Barton for sure.

My friends mom used to call them "common folk" lol.

To put it in perspective I don't think I've ever known Barton St. to be happening - it's not like when I was a kid it was hustling and bustling.. its been like this a loooong time.

Last edited:
The unit count does seem high, makes me wonder if they're aiming high and the real number is far less than that, or as mentioned they are looking to get the zoning revised and then sell the whole plot.

Back