1881 STEELES AVE W
Ward 06 - North York District

Zoning Bylaw Amendment application for the proposal of a one 11 storey, two 12 storey and 27 storey buildings. The proposal would have 1171 residential units, 3502 sqm of commercial retail space fronting onto both Steeles Avenue West and Dufferin Street, and 1206 parking spaces.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Rezoning​
19 262484 NNY 06 OZ​
Dec 17, 2019​
Under Review​
View attachment 220970
I like that there is a mixed usage and better planning for this small area.
However, I have a few concerns:
1. Isnt this project on a flight path for Pearson and Bombardier at Dowsview airport where buildings are kept to a maximum height of 10 stories? Planes are pretty low at this intersection.
2. The traffic in this area is insane. What are the proposals by the city for increasing the lanes from 2 to 3 on Dufferin Street between Finch and Steeles to accomodate traffic going North and South.
3.The plan looks like part of the project encroaches/ enters the public park to the East of it with an 11 story tower destroying the integrity of the park that many people use.
4. Since many families are looking for affordable housing would increasing the number of 2 bed units to 3 be a better option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless, that stretch of Dufferin NEEDS to be widened! It is nuts! It bottlenecks from 3 lanes to 2 at Finch, then widens again at Steeles to 3! It is a brutal stretch most of the day!

There's also this weird bottleneck on Steeles east of Bathurst. I don't know why that was never widened.

Interesting little patch of mixed use lands surrounded by General Employment, Core Employment and Natural Areas. City will be focused on compatibility here.

1588281193296.png

North York group and local councillor fight highrise housing developments at Steeles and Dufferin

May 18, 2021

Thank you for posting this. I believe the concern is with the traffic which is already very heavy along Dufferin in addition to the height of the buildings amongst other things. They have very valid concerns. I don't believe this intersection can manage the development of this size.

Thank you for posting this. I believe the concern is with the traffic which is already very heavy along Dufferin in addition to the height of the buildings amongst other things. They have very valid concerns. I don't believe this intersection can manage the development of this size.
Development applications always come with traffic studies written by experts. Grousing by locals about the traffic or any other aspects of building proposals have little bearing on whether they get approved: it's the various studies that are 90% of the determining factors in approval and/or revisions to the plans.

Development applications always come with traffic studies written by experts. Grousing by locals about the traffic or any other aspects of building proposals have little bearing on whether they get approved: it's the various studies that are 90% of the determining factors in approval and/or revisions to the plans.

Oh really..."have no bearing"....yes they do. Ratepayers groups managed to get the high rise monstrosity that Riocan were going to building on Clarke Avenue cancelled. Talk about bad urban design on top of that. I'm not even going into the lack of urban design of the building for this project. .

Oh really..."have no bearing"....yes they do. Ratepayers groups managed to get the high rise monstrosity that Riocan were going to building on Clarke Avenue cancelled. Talk about bad urban design on top of that. I'm not even going into the lack of urban design of the building for this project. .
So you put quote marks around three words even though you misrepresented what I said? Words do matter.

Thank you for posting this.
Eyeroll...
I believe the concern is with the traffic which is already very heavy along Dufferin in addition to the height of the buildings amongst other things.
Why should anyone at all care about folks sitting in traffic? You chose to be there, figure it out.
They have very valid concerns.
What are they?
I don't believe this intersection can manage the development of this size.
The discussions First Cap and Tenblock are having with the City and the far more important / relevant Sanofi Pasteur will bear that out.

New renderings are updated in the database. The total unit count changed from 1171 units to 1124 units. Overall storey count changed from 27, 27, 12, 12 & 11 storey to 32, 32, 13 & 12 storey. Total height changed from 89.30m, 89.30m, 46.94m, 46.94m & 41.45m to 105.05 m, 105.05 m, 49.05 m & 46.05 m.

Renderings are taken from the architectural plan via rezoning application:

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 19  2022-5.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 19  2022-7.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 19  2022-10.jpg
PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 19  2022-13.jpg

To follow up on @Art Tsai 's update above, we have a description of the changes in Correspondence to the City on the subject of the Revised Proposal.

From said Correspondence:

1663961165861.png

1663961224898.png

1663961255427.png

1663961282138.png

1663961318885.png

1663961367744.png

Parking ratio is still too high.

I'll tack on the revised site plan:

1663961500162.png

Eyeroll...

Why should anyone at all care about folks sitting in traffic? You chose to be there, figure it out.

What are they?

The discussions First Cap and Tenblock are having with the City and the far more important / relevant Sanofi Pasteur will bear that out.

Update lol looks Sanofi will put an end to all of those salivating over this development. Here I was getting ready to join the ratepayers association.

Update lol looks Sanofi will put an end to all of those salivating over this development. Here I was getting ready to join the ratepayers association.

Could you elaborate on your update?

Back