1. No problem with MLS. It's got far more program than almost anything else in the City. Page + Steele had a lot to do with the value engineering here too.
2. What's the problem with this? Also, Kirkor did the tower, KPMB's involvement was restricted to the cultural component / podium.
3. No problem with this either. I wish the podium had more retail tenants but that's more Lanterra's fault than the architect's. As with MLS, Page + Steele had a lot to do with this looking like it does.
4. No problem with them. I wish the original idea of running the brick halfway up the tower hadn't been abandoned but that was more Concord than KPMB.
5. Sure it's boring, but it's not *bad*.
To each their own, there are many uninspiring qualities about the 5 projects I listed but for the sake of keeping this thread on topic I wont get into it too much.

commerce-court-33.jpg

Attachments

• commerce-court-33.jpg
    commerce-court-33.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 881
It looks boxy and inelegant from other angles and that pole seems so ridiculous and plonked-on one can't help but chuckle. This design just seems hastily conceived to me. With the loss of Pei's work I certainly hope they move forward with something more sophisticated and inspiring than this.

30327-104323.jpeg

Agreed.... looks like it's been shrunk in the vertical aspect. Or fattened in the horizontal one. Either way, the proportions seem off. Nice image though - crisp lines and lovely shading.

A lot of this whinging should be rerouted to other threads such as Sugar Wharf, Canada House or 31R /33 Parliament. This tower is vastly better than another aA/KPMB/IBI/D&S style grey glass box. Additionally, it's in such a tight scrum of other talls that its full length will only be visible from vantage points directly east. I do agree that the crown and silly antenna should be far better executed since those will be visible from many angles.

Hardly a fair comparison to compare a class AA office tower to some lowly condo developments. In any case, how is this vastly superior to say, Southcore Financial Centre stark boxiness?

It is a bunch of angular lines akin to other projects like 1 Eglinton. I am sure it didn't take any long to draw up than one of those boxes

Last edited:
Indeed, it is also potentially destroying and compromising a previous work by a renowned architect that is among the city's most architecturally significant properties. This complex shouldn't be dominated by hulking grade B architecture.

I'm not a fan of the horizontal lines around the corners, for one. They evoke balconies on a condo, which gives the tower a confused look. It's like the architects are so used to designing condo towers that they didn't know what to do with this project.

If you're curious about what went on at the Design Review Panel appearance a week and a half ago, we have a front page story up now.

Back