To me this is just an architectural firm thats trying to advertise. It doesn't mean this project is anywhere close to coming to fruition. Since it's approved and HP was the firm who designed the render, they are just trying to create social media content. Given the state of the commercial sector right now I can confidently say this will not be built. In fact, I doubt a commercial tower over 500ft in height is in the cards for anywhere in Canada over the next 5 years. With the work from home thing taking off, companies are downsizing and actually want less space. The commercial vacancy rate in DT Toronto right now is like 15% I believe, the highest it's been in over a decade.

Let's be happy we got CIBC Square and 160 Front, most cities have nothing right now.

We're probably going to see a game of musical chairs for some time as companies downsize their office space and other companies choose to relocate downtown and take over the empty space. Eventually, assuming the city keeps growing, we'll once again see demand for more office space.

Fortunately, we're not saddled with a Bay-Adelaide Centre-like stump anywhere or a sea of surface parking lots.

We're probably going to see a game of musical chairs for some time as companies downsize their office space and other companies choose to relocate downtown and take over the empty space. Eventually, assuming the city keeps growing, we'll once again see demand for more office space.
It’ll also continue like this as long as housing prices in Toronto stay elevated, and the transit/commute situation stays miserable.

A lot fewer people would agitate for WFH if they lived closer to work and didn’t have to commute 50+ minutes each way to get there.

Commerce Court One and Two c.1973. Pictures from the short lived observation floor are in my Flick Album incl Berczy Park and the Portlands and the odd reflective windows and ceiling mirrors that could jumble the view. https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_g_briggs/albums/72177720311836285

CIBC Tower Colour Harbour View.jpg

So the TD Centre has always had that orange band at the top? I thought it was a covering because they were looking to redo the cap flashing... hrmm.
...I think that's an article of colour saturation of the time.

Commerce Court One and Two c.1973. Pictures from the short lived observation floor are in my Flick Album incl Berczy Park and the Portlands and the odd reflective windows and ceiling mirrors that could jumble the view. https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_g_briggs/albums/72177720311836285

View attachment 518539
Enjoyed the gallery. Thanks.
When were the b&w shots taken? Right around 1980?
What's under construction here, Harbour Square Apartments? The then-Harbour Castle Hilton? I applaud the likably weird depth of field compression.

Was on IG and I follow the architect for this project. They state that this is an in progress project and that another 2 of their projects will surpass 300meters. Link below for your reference.

A floor pitch of over 15 feet is remarkable. In a way it seems like an extravagance meant to compensate for the shoehorning into a crowded lot and the dull ordinariness of the exterior design. Like if a pair of shoes is dreary, install 6" platform soles under them.

It's like the Goldman Sachs Tower in Jersey City if a gang of Nephilim had bashed it with baseball bats for a while. Ah well, no one's purpose is to erect office buildings that meet my standards of good looks and dignity.

Very cool shot in there with the Eaton Centre atrium ony half completed and the old Eaton's store still there on Queen St.
I also didn't know that the Dundas tower also had a cenbtred "mouth".

Back