Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ya, I think I know the City Map as well as anyone not named @interchange42 and I really had to google this one, especially when I saw the height.

This actually fronts/meets Bayview, 2 blocks north of Eglinton.

Streetview:

1658475255831.png

Aerial Pic:

1658475396517.png

Site Size: 2140m2/23000ft2

* Docs are Up *

* pre-render note, this is roughly opposite the Gupta proposal, if you thought the neighbourhood was ahem, upset.........this is ~9s/20M taller too!

1658475568579.png

1658476107567.png

From the Planning Report:

1658476318410.png

This graphic helpfully notes this proposal really has no height precedent to reach for; they're are a couple of ballpark sites (over 30s on Eglinton but not super close, and not the same context) This is very much
an MTSA reach.

1658476540024.png

1658476576582.png

1658476621391.png

1658476699862.png

1658476745597.png

Parkland requirements are proposed to be met through off-site acquisition resulting in expansion of nearby Charlotte Maher Park (this is supportable).

Last edited:
Ahh, I see @WislaHD has gotten in the development game with this cleverly disguised company name. Too bad, jig's up, we see you. ;)

edit: tower materiality and slab form factor look neat.

Ahh, I see @WislaHD has gotten in the development game with this cleverly disguised company name. Too bad, jig's up, we see you. ;)

edit: tower materiality and slab form factor look neat.
Secret's out :oops:

I am actually pretty shocked to see this proposal. Was not the first site assembly I had expected to see from this area east of Bayview. Surprising to me that nobody is taking a shot at the car wash around the corner.

This was a nice quiet little street and the young trees seemed to be developing healthily from what I could tell. Will be missed.

This was a nice quiet little street and the young trees seemed to be developing healthily from what I could tell. Will be missed.

If it's any consolation, the trees appear to me to be mostly/entirely Norway Maple ( non-native, invasive)

While I'm glad to see this site redeveloped, I can't help but think this is a bit much for this site. Due to being higher up on the hill, this will be a very notable project, which is fine, but I struggle to see a 30 floor building going here without a fight from the neighbourhood. More retail space would be prefered here, but I'm glad they at least put in something here.
I hope they improve the massing on this thing, it reads as a foreboding slab, and the podium really sets that precedent. Then again, if this site does remain as 34 stories, I won't exactly care, it'll just be a bit of a sore thumb.

The off site parkland dedication is welcome news.

While I'm glad to see this site redeveloped, I can't help but think this is a bit much for this site. Due to being higher up on the hill, this will be a very notable project, which is fine, but I struggle to see a 30 floor building going here without a fight from the neighbourhood. More retail space would be prefered here, but I'm glad they at least put in something here.
I hope they improve the massing on this thing, it reads as a foreboding slab, and the podium really sets that precedent. Then again, if this site does remain as 34 stories, I won't exactly care, it'll just be a bit of a sore thumb.

The off site parkland dedication is welcome news.
I like the massing. Clean, simple and prominent.
Gairloch doing a tower is interesting. They know this hood well....Especially after having a fight w councillor and neighbours over a 9s mid-rise on the south side of Eglinton...

The design is cool, and I think we're all expecting the entire corridor to develop quickly, but that lot is certainly not where I was expecting the first huge building to be proposed at Egg and Bayview there. Alas, I'm sure it will just blend in to the skyline at some point anyways haha

Love it. Housing in an elegant box near transit, retail, services and jobs, with a nearby park expansion and a 0.18 resident + 0.03 visitor parking ratio. Perfect. Build it. Let the NIMBYs wail. Only suggestions I'd make are: decrease the window-wall ratio, wraparound balconies, and parking ratio, all to make a more interesting and sustainable building.

Last edited:
I expect this to end up in the 25-30 storey range after the local residents take out their knives. I agree with @GenerationLee that retail at grade with a good street wall is ideal here.

This one was appealed to the OLT by the Applicant in December.

It is now the subject of an Appeals Report to the next meeting of NYCC:

From that report, we can ascertain that staff would like some additional set-backs/transitions to reduce impacts on 'neighbourhoods'.

While that one may be a bit suspect there are some areas where I think Planning is doing its job in saying 'not good enough' to the applicant here:

1676036757156.png

This is of interest:

1676036857032.png

On balance, I don't think Planning's objections are all that harsh; they don't seem to be adamant on a height reduction (though this is one way to address their shadow concern); I expect this is really
going to rise/fall on some mostly modest adjustments to the massing and building articulation.

Which means I would surprised to see this one actually get to the merit hearing stage, but we shall see!

This one was appealed to the OLT by the Applicant in December.

It is now the subject of an Appeals Report to the next meeting of NYCC:

From that report, we can ascertain that staff would like some additional set-backs/transitions to reduce impacts on 'neighbourhoods'.

While that one may be a bit suspect there are some areas where I think Planning is doing its job in saying 'not good enough' to the applicant here:

View attachment 455343

This is of interest:

View attachment 455345

On balance, I don't think Planning's objections are all that harsh; they don't seem to be adamant on a height reduction (though this is one way to address their shadow concern); I expect this is really
going to rise/fall on some mostly modest adjustments to the massing and building articulation.

Which means I would surprised to see this one actually get to the merit hearing stage, but we shall see!
Huh? Where's the closed landfill? Holland Bloorview lands? 🤔

Huh? Where's the closed landfill? Holland Bloorview lands? 🤔

Good question. I know many of the old landfill sites; my knowledge is mostly comparable to what The Star put out publicly a few years ago, though I do know of a few smaller sites they didn't profile.

First, The Star's Map of 161 closed landfills in Toronto:

1676039342282.png

Nothing shows here that I can see that would be within 250M of the site.

That said, I could offer a guess.

I know that Walmsley Brook was buried at the Bayview/Eglinton intersection.

It was not an uncommon practice to use landfill for that purpose back in a day:

This is a picture from the City Archives via 'Old Toronto Series' Group on Facebook. Bayview, looking north from Eglinton, 1910:

1676039521514.png

Back